Recommended ATF Oils.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning to change the ATF oil some time this week, I have purchased the AUTO GEARBOX SERVICE KIT but I am having a hard time finding the right ATF oil.

Has anyone used the AMSOIL Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)?

Land rover Discovery II
75,000 Miles | Year 2000

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amsoil

Amsoil is awesome......... pure and simple. Its' what's in my wifes Landrover

Chongo :bandit:

AlexDisco

Reaction score
I read great things about all of their products. I am also going to switch over to AMSOIL ATF. Will you use their regular ATF or Torque-Drive ATF what are your thoughts? or yours Chongo? Would you consider writing an article on full transmission service w/pictures? I think it would be useful.

When I changed my oil to AMSOIL last month, I used the engine flush from GUNK and tried to get every last drop of old oil out using different lifting angles and heights. After the filter change and AMSOIL fill up I started the Disco and lived through hard 5 seconds of teeth cringing metal to metal noises before the oil finally got everywhere. Any ideas on, how to avoid this and still flush all of the old oil?

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read great things about all of their products. I am also going to switch over to AMSOIL ATF. Will you use their regular ATF or Torque-Drive ATF what are your thoughts? or yours Chongo? Would you consider writing an article on full transmission service w/pictures? I think it would be useful.

When I changed my oil to AMSOIL last month, I used the engine flush from GUNK and tried to get every last drop of old oil out using different lifting angles and heights. After the filter change and AMSOIL fill up I started the Disco and lived through hard 5 seconds of teeth cringing metal to metal noises before the oil finally got everywhere. Any ideas on, how to avoid this and still flush all of the old oil?

Hello Alex Disco:

Well about the Amsoil they are both overkill for what it is being used for, but they are job specific. I use only the ATF. There are other additives in the others for different purposes, I only endorse the ATF for the Landrover
http://www.thesuperiorsynthetic.com/Transmission_Fluids.html

As far as a transmission service pictorial I think it would be great if you did it, I changed mine 3 months ago with no pictorial…….. sorry.

As far as the engine oil system loosing “prime”, other than an oil bypass pump I don’t know of one. Be carefull though not all aftermarket oil filters have a check valve in them like Coopers and Fram ph16. Thr Fram ph16 catches prime much faster than the Coopers does due to element permeability.

As always, Happy rovering…………… Chongo
:bandit:

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I think I sould go with the
ATF TP Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid: (1) 2.5-gallon container. this is 10 quarts it looks like I only need 8 quarts. ($86.75)

http://www.discoweb.org/index.html

Thanks for your help guys.... :)

sine mora

Reaction score
I too would love to see a picture tutorial. I'm good at fixin' people, not vehicles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90