Replacement Keys on Backorder?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomK

Reaction score
I have had a replacement key on order with Rover Connection since January 08. They sent me one and charged my cc, but when the key arrived (after 4 weeks) it was cut wrong. I returned it to them and they said they would have a new key cut correctly and sent to me. Now ~8 weeks later they have told me that replacement keys are on backorder without an ETA. Has anyone else experienced anything like this from Rover Connection or heard of a replacement key backorder situation?

Tom K
Black Hills of South Dakota

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom, did the dealer have them available?

OCPaul

Reaction score
Tom

Just bought a 2006 LR3 from a dealer with only one key. They have ordered a second, and told me 6 weeks.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my spare key in about 2 weeks from dealer, no problems.

rufresnel

Reaction score
Long Story Short - My 05 V8 SE sat at the dealer for 6 weeks until an LR3 rep from the UK walked into the service department and called the only LR3 key maker in the US and told them to cut me a key. I got it within 3 days.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told the original key maker went out of business, creating a backlog situation, and the new one was behind on orders. Took my replacement about 5 weeks to arrive, and it was not very inexpensive!

TomK

Reaction score
I didn't check with dealer since the 2nd key was a good bit cheaper than through Rover Connection... plus the nearest dealer is 350 miles away.

I did get a UPS e-notice that Rover Connection sent me something yesterday... it arrives tomorrow. Hope it is the key!

TomK
Black Hills of South Dakota

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that is much cheaper! ($180 from RC) Isn't it $300+ from the dealer?

Anyway, for hundreds dollars for a key, maybe I should go into the key fob business! :)

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. My old Pathfinder once cost me $80 for a new key and I flipped my lid, but $400. ***

OCPaul

Reaction score
Tom

Just bought a 2006 LR3 from a dealer with only one key. They have ordered a second, and told me 6 weeks.

Now telling me 72 hours with no customs delay, a week with a hold up. Apparently customs inspects "electronic devices" regularly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nico3dd