Replacement Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, my notion is that the height sensors and auto-leveling will accomodate some sag in the strut. If the sag gets to be such that it takes a sensor out-of-calibration, you'd get a fault. There are also cross-articulation faults for when the calibration is out of whack.

I can't really say for sure how each of these trace though. My shock failed somewhat unexpectedly, but until then the suspension was performing perfectly fine, which is why I think the EAS can accomodate some wear of the strut. Now that I've thought it through, I am going to stay more on top of monitoring the strut so that if I see interference between the shock and the UCA, I'll know it's time to replace.

I've replaced just one...and it seems to perform just fine. Now, maybe you are correct in that replacing all 4 would be better, but that's about $3500 to have "better" instead of "good."

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A failed strut will not effect the overhaul of a vehicle, just it's ability to control bouncing.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to the OPs question, a strut is the airbag spring and the shock inside. You can't just buy the shock (to my knowledge)

The shock doesn't support the vehicle, it controls the rebound and it is not going to go bad without you noticing it in the way of a bouncy rebound when you go over a bump. I wouldn't base replacement on mileage, unless you just want to spend some cash. I also wouldn't worry about replacing just one if only one is a problem.

I actually haven't heard of anyone on these boards having a problem with the shocks yet. Airbag, yes but not shock. I'm pushing 100k and it drives the same as it did when I got it, albeit with new control arms.

Houm, if I'm correct, your shock didn't fail, your airbag did. There wouldn't be any sag if a shock went bad. The computers wouldn't detect anything wrong unless you had an aftermarket bounce-ometer :biggrin:

Trynian

Reaction score
The only after market strut replacement I have ever heard of so far is a bilstein used with the factory airbag.

The only other is the Arnott, which is a full bag replacement that uses a bilstein strut for the front only.

no-pistons

Reaction score
The only after market strut replacement I have ever heard of so far is a bilstein used with the factory airbag.

The only other is the Arnott, which is a full bag replacement that uses a bilstein strut for the front only.

Anybody in the US using the aftermarket yellow Bilstein shocks? I've read a lot of people in Australia are having problems with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4