Replacement Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jameswalkertx

Reaction score
Does anyone know at what mileage it is good to replace the shocks?

What is a good shock to use when replacing them?

Thanks.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it seems to vary. I got ~105,000 miles out of my front passenger side shock, and that's the only one I've replaced. I believe a good way to determine if replacement is needed, at least in the front, is to put the vehicle on a lift and let the wheels droop. Then go look to see how much clearance there is between the upper control arm and the shock. If you can't get your finger back there, it's time to replace them.

You could go with OE shocks, or Arnott makes a replacement that I've heard good things about.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets start over, a factory shock , depending on how you drive the vehicle, will last upwards of 60,000 miles if not 4 wheeled. So it is real safe to say your shocks are gone.
When replacing them look towards Old Man Emu, Iron Man or Bilsteins.

As for the other comment, you never replace only 1 shock unless the truck as little or no mileage and you have a broken shock, other wise you replace all 4 at the same time.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to do some research on the brands I mentioned and see if you can buy the replacement strut cartridge.
Are you at all mechanical?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike...I think you're all wet on this. Like I said, I got over 100,000 miles on my shocks and I DO off-road; quite a bit, in fact.

Old man EMU, Bilstein, etc...might make products for the D2, but right now I've only heard of Arnott's product for the LR3. Also, replacing just one shock seems to be working JUST FINE. With the ability to calibrate the ride height sensors and with the automatic leveling in the EAS, it looks to be feasible to replace them as-needed.

I am considering replacing at least the other front shock, but I'll put 'er on a lift and look at it. Why change it if it looks fine?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't want to believe me, then go to any "GOOD" front end man and ask them how long struts should last on a 4X4.
My 30 years as a service manager for a could manufactures as well as Rover says you are short on experience.
Any can think there struts are still good, not realizing that over many years of driving the wear on the struts has weakend them to the point you don't notice it.
By the way, how does looking at a strut housing tell you if the strut cartridge, which can not be seen without tearing it apart, tell you anything.
Trust me, I am not all wet, when you get nearly 30 years of actual mechanical experience, then disagree with me.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your experience, Mike...but sometimes you lean on it a bit too often and you've been wrong on this board countless times; generally as you mix up the D1/D2 with the LR3. The Old man EMU reference in your above post is a case-in-point. Where were your 30 years in that case?

You may have a point that a shock can be "worn out" without being "dead." I'm not sure what the original poster's real question was. That said, it seems like with all the sensors and sophistication of the LR3's EAS, if the air strut was no longer effective, the EAS would let you know!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like anyone, I am not always 100%. that being said, I have more experience with 4 wheelers, especially D1 and D2's then LRE's but struts or shock wear out, they are never replaced one at a time because of wear.
So, lets go back to your high tech method of looking at a struts to determine if it is good or bad. Also, the EAS system can not based on its programing can not determine if a strut is good or bad.
So if you want to, better do some serious research on shock or strut life expendency and the what your computer can do or not do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112