Replacing LR4 wheel arches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would stay away from plastic-dip - looks like cr@p to me. Do it right, do it once.
OEM plastic is gonna be way more durable - which seems to be what you want.

Good luck!

Agree. Owned an LR3 and remember the plastic being non-smooth and with a bit rough texture, so plastidip may not offer the same feel.

Also, I think the gray plastic ones for the LR4 commercial model offered in Europe may have a slightly different design to them where they meet the bottom area of the truck.

Also there may be slight design difference between the arches that came with LR3 and LR4 due to the front skirt and rear bumper (as well as the revised mud flaps design) of LR4.

If I were looking into doing this, I'd prolly look into this design differences and see if the ones made specifically for the commercial LR4 are any better (or even more durable, since they were meant of a "commercial" version).

Just to reminisce a lil, a Zambezi Silver LR3 (or even a white one) looks so damn beautiful with those dark gray wheel well arches. Seen on the road, it still looks so modern and current even fifteen years later when it was first introduced back in 2004.

Last edited:

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree. Owned an LR3 and remember the plastic being non-smooth and with a bit rough texture, so plastidip may not offer the same feel.

Also, I think the gray plastic ones for the commercial model offered in Europe may have a slightly different design to them where they meet the bottom area of the truck and there maybe slightly different than the ones for LR3. If I were doing this, I'd prolly look into this design difference and see if the ones made specifically for the commercial LR4 are any better (or even more durable, since they were meant of a "commercial" version).

Just to reminisce a lil, a Zambezi Silver LR3 (or even a white one) looks so damn beautiful with those dark gray wheel well arches. Seen on the road, it still looks so modern and current even fifteen years later when it was first introduced back in 2004.

I hadn't even heard of the commercial version until mentioned here in this thread. Not sure if those parts are even available. I told the dealer what I wanted to do and they said the only thing they could think of was the LR3 arches. Maybe they don't know about the commercial version arches though. Will see if I can find them.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hadn't even heard of the commercial version until mentioned here in this thread. Not sure if those parts are even available. I told the dealer what I wanted to do and they said the only thing they could think of was the LR3 arches. Maybe they don't know about the commercial version arches though. Will see if I can find them.

Yeah I think thats a European specific flavor. I'd look it up and would also ask around over at the disco3 forums (hopefully not breaking any rules here).

Not surprised the least about the clueless dealer, I'd be surprised if they got the decent know how just for the NA market LR3/4.

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only D4 Commercial pics I see on disco3 have painted arches - it is the interior trim that is different. I think LR3 (D3) arches are the way to go.

That said, have you tried pricing UK sites? Non-genuine products are more plentiful there.

I see Britpart brand aches on lrparts dot net for £48 ($61) each.
Rimmer Bros has un-named aftermarket for £40 ($51) each.

If you have all 4 part numbers, check some of these UK sites out - sometimes shipping overseas is not that bad. Some of my purchases from the UK have saved me hundreds on identical NAS parts found locally.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only D4 Commercial pics I see on disco3 have painted arches - it is the interior trim that is different. I think LR3 (D3) arches are the way to go.

That said, have you tried pricing UK sites? Non-genuine products are more plentiful there.

I see Britpart brand aches on lrparts dot net for £48 ($61) each.
Rimmer Bros has un-named aftermarket for £40 ($51) each.

If you have all 4 part numbers, check some of these UK sites out - sometimes shipping overseas is not that bad. Some of my purchases from the UK have saved me hundreds on identical NAS parts found locally.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Awesome. Hadn't considered checking UK. Will check it out. Thanks for the tips.

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only D4 Commercial pics I see on disco3 have painted arches - it is the interior trim that is different.

Well I proved myself wrong.

The Discovery 4 SDV6 Commercial could come with the black arches.
Might have been an option, as some have - and some have not.

E1966

Reaction score
I hate the painted arches, and miss the dark grey plastic arches from my LR3. If I didn't get stuck with a black truck (meaning the swap won't make that much of a visual difference), I'd have done this the week I bought the truck. But I've given it 18 months or so with the LR4 to get used to it, and I simply don't like them. So I'd like to swap back in LR3 arches, which I understand fit the LR4.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get this done for less than around $110/wheel.

I could have sworn I saw third party arches a year or so ago for less than $200 for a full set.

Has anyone replaced their LR4 arches, or refreshed their LR3 arches and found a solution other than buying OEM parts at $110 per wheel?

> There are several auto dismantlers (junk yards) where you can obtain this items. But beware..If the remove them themselves, the price is often close to getting them new. and IF you do find a set of them under 200 which I think it will be hard to find. Plan on getting those 2 piece plastic fasteners at almost 1.75 a piece since they are very fragile. my suggestion would be get them rhino coated...you can get It done for less than 150

CaliDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is the dark wheel arch was available on LR4 in some regions as an option with Coils!!! Very interesting and rare combo... this is probably what you saw.

At this point though you’re probably better off with having them lineXed or tough visited if you don’t want to spend for a used part...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA