1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rigid spring installation vs air struts

Discussion in 'LR3' started by Paul Albert, Oct 17, 2020.

Car Parts
  1. Paul Albert

Paul Albert Active Member

Hi guys I have A dilemma, I have a 2008 LR3 with 116K I am either going to have to change the air struts and a valve block which you know is very expensive or the other option is to go with the fixed springs, either way is Expensive
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

2. remember5

remember5 Full Access Member

This subject has been hashed over and over and my opinion is it boils down to personal preference. Many of us say stay with what Landrover engineered. Others say go with coils and don't look back. If you search the threads you'll find a weekend worth of reading on the subject.

Houm_WA likes this.
  3. Paul Albert

Paul Albert Active Member

Ok
    Thanks

4. NatesLR3s

NatesLR3s New Member

Just to give you my personal experience on the subject. I've been managing a small repair and fabrication shop for the last 4 years. I have had 3 customer come into my shop over air suspension issues during that time. (Its rare to see a LR3 in my area) I purchased my vehicle with the coilover conversion, and I have of course have zero issues. Two customers opted to go with coilover kits after driving mine. The other customer went with repair the air ride which was about a year ago. Well all 3 of them are on coilover conversions now. First time the guy with air suspension went off roading he blew a bag. I just feel the piece of mind is worth it alone, if you do any offloading id suggestions getting a old man emu kit with the 2" lift built in.

5. Houm_WA

Houm_WA Full Access Member

He "blew a bag," Nate?

What does that mean, exactly? I have two LR3s, one of which I've had for 15 years. I have been on a few of these message boards for over a decade and have heard/read just about everything. What you are stating is unheard of. There is no blowing a bag...you can put a branch through one, maybe, but the probability of that happening, especially the first time going off roading, is extremely low.

The fact is the EAS is quite reliable, even if expensive to maintain. Most anything that can disable it can be inspected pre-trip. Hell, I ripped the wiring loom apart on an offfroading trip and it still worked fine.

....and the EAS is superior to coils for this independent suspension. If you're not taking your LR3 off-road then coils are fine, I guess.

6. remember5

remember5 Full Access Member

I agree with Houm, I converted my Disco II to coils and the ride was never the same. My LR3 has 237k and I replaced the front bags about 209 and am pretty sure the rears are still original. I have rebuilt the compressor. Kind of like I said earlier, most folks are hard core one way or the other. When I was a kid I wanted to jack up my 67 mustang and can still hear my dad saying "son, you think you're smarter than the engineers at Ford?"

Houm_WA likes this.