Rigid spring installation vs air struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Albert

Reaction score
Hi guys I have A dilemma, I have a 2008 LR3 with 116K I am either going to have to change the air struts and a valve block which you know is very expensive or the other option is to go with the fixed springs, either way is Expensive
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This subject has been hashed over and over and my opinion is it boils down to personal preference. Many of us say stay with what Landrover engineered. Others say go with coils and don't look back. If you search the threads you'll find a weekend worth of reading on the subject.

NatesLR3s

Reaction score
Just to give you my personal experience on the subject. I've been managing a small repair and fabrication shop for the last 4 years. I have had 3 customer come into my shop over air suspension issues during that time. (Its rare to see a LR3 in my area) I purchased my vehicle with the coilover conversion, and I have of course have zero issues. Two customers opted to go with coilover kits after driving mine. The other customer went with repair the air ride which was about a year ago. Well all 3 of them are on coilover conversions now. First time the guy with air suspension went off roading he blew a bag. I just feel the piece of mind is worth it alone, if you do any offloading id suggestions getting a old man emu kit with the 2" lift built in.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He "blew a bag," Nate?

What does that mean, exactly? I have two LR3s, one of which I've had for 15 years. I have been on a few of these message boards for over a decade and have heard/read just about everything. What you are stating is unheard of. There is no blowing a bag...you can put a branch through one, maybe, but the probability of that happening, especially the first time going off roading, is extremely low.

The fact is the EAS is quite reliable, even if expensive to maintain. Most anything that can disable it can be inspected pre-trip. Hell, I ripped the wiring loom apart on an offfroading trip and it still worked fine.

....and the EAS is superior to coils for this independent suspension. If you're not taking your LR3 off-road then coils are fine, I guess.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Houm, I converted my Disco II to coils and the ride was never the same. My LR3 has 237k and I replaced the front bags about 209 and am pretty sure the rears are still original. I have rebuilt the compressor. Kind of like I said earlier, most folks are ********* one way or the other. When I was a kid I wanted to jack up my 67 mustang and can still hear my dad saying "son, you think you're smarter than the engineers at Ford?"

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the EAS. I replaced my original front struts at 180k with used ones due to a budget crunch at the time, rears are still original at 235k. I’m starting to get a little wobble from one (or more) of the shocks finally losing their ability to dampen. The coil over kits are not that much cheaper than a complete refresh, but you lose (almost) all of the things that make the LR3 great. I have read some about spring sag and coils are certainly not infallible. Those who have converted seem to be ok with it and maybe it’s arguably more reliable, but if reliability is what matters most you may as well drive a Toyota.

Hans12654

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been reading the replies and reccomendation. I have an 06 LR3 with 125k and love it. Because when I purchased a (side of the road deal) it was already converted with Atlantic British conversion coil kit, I don't have any personal comparison to share. What I can say is it rides like a well oiled machine. After buying it, there were worn control arm bushing so I went balls out and replaced all the bushings with polyurethane. I spent a small fortune on hardware (ball joints, nuts, bolts, camber adjusters, EBC rotors and brakes) the whole shebang. Took me 2 months sitting on Jack stands in my driveway but the work paid off to great satisfaction. I hear you guys enjoying the air lift OEM suspension and had moments where I asked myself "I should invest on the air bag struts". After reading the mountains of people experiencing compressor issues, height sensors and all the accoutrement that go along with the system, I shake it off. If I buy the replacement air struts, what else isn't working and will I be opening a can of worms and another month or so on Jack stands. In the end my girl holds the road like velcro and enjoy the fruits of my labor minus several thousand dollars. I don't miss what I never had and can't take away anyone's love or appreciation for the origional system design. All I can say is more is more to go wrong and the conversion certainly simplifies and limits what can and will eventually go wrong. To me, simple means less problem in the future. Having said that, if your ambitious, have a credit card with no limit and don't mind the cost then go for it! I still have those moments of all these suspension buttons on the shift that have no function. Some may disagree but the British Atlantic conversion kit is affordable and a cinch to install. I hope this was helpful in your decision. :)

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well maybe a Jeep instead, but what makes the 3 or 4 unique is the air suspension.

It just seems to me that if you get rid of the air springs, one maybe should have just got rid of the vehicle and purchased something conventional.

I regard the air springs as reliable; I have new fronts but that was just to get new front shocks; the rears are still factory and that is fifteen years ago now.

The wiring looms to the air springs were never the best but by about 2008, LR had sort of noticed that. As to air compressors, the first one did not make it to end of warranty; the second I had to pay for myself and it is still there.

Mine is primarily a grocery getter; I bought it to stay on the road and so far it has.

You have to pay me to go off road. Today I take my wife to the shopping centre thru maybe a foot of snow on pavement icy where it is clear and drifted, where not. The heaters are pretty good; the heated windscreen useful these days and the radio, still like having the Boston Pops along for the ride in the back seat.

Kris Romito

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been reading the replies and reccomendation. I have an 06 LR3 with 125k and love it. Because when I purchased a (side of the road deal) it was already converted with Atlantic British conversion coil kit, I don't have any personal comparison to share. What I can say is it rides like a well oiled machine. After buying it, there were worn control arm bushing so I went balls out and replaced all the bushings with polyurethane. I spent a small fortune on hardware (ball joints, nuts, bolts, camber adjusters, EBC rotors and brakes) the whole shebang. Took me 2 months sitting on Jack stands in my driveway but the work paid off to great satisfaction. I hear you guys enjoying the air lift OEM suspension and had moments where I asked myself "I should invest on the air bag struts". After reading the mountains of people experiencing compressor issues, height sensors and all the accoutrement that go along with the system, I shake it off. If I buy the replacement air struts, what else isn't working and will I be opening a can of worms and another month or so on Jack stands. In the end my girl holds the road like velcro and enjoy the fruits of my labor minus several thousand dollars. I don't miss what I never had and can't take away anyone's love or appreciation for the origional system design. All I can say is more is more to go wrong and the conversion certainly simplifies and limits what can and will eventually go wrong. To me, simple means less problem in the future. Having said that, if your ambitious, have a credit card with no limit and don't mind the cost then go for it! I still have those moments of all these suspension buttons on the shift that have no function. Some may disagree but the British Atlantic conversion kit is affordable and a cinch to install. I hope this was helpful in your decision. :)
Thank you for this. I have had the same experience and also did the same conversion. I have not taken it off road yet but plan to go on a few beach trips this summer. Since I have done the conversion, this no longer allows me to use the different suspension settings correct? My wife has a Jeep Wrangler that you have to put into 4 wheel drive. Is the LR3 all wheel drive all the time? I‘m fairly new to all of this and want to make sure I get right before driving on the beach. Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72