Roof Rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi just picked up a 2013 LR4. Love it.
I'm looking into roof rails.
I like the extended rails they have on Amazon although they have bad reviews.
AB has the shorter rails (just the raised portion) for $425.
Of course the Amazon are half the $.
I was curious to see if anyone had experience with these and what you all recommend.

Thanks!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have extended rails from the factory on my 2013. I think they look nice if all you're going to do is add cross bars some day. However, if you plan to install a full or even partial roof rack at some point, the shorter rails will give you a whole lot more options.

I didn't have any rails on my last LR4 (a 2011) and when I was researching them, I had similar hesitation about the non-OEM stuff. But lots of people use them w/o issue. I would base it on how much you expect to use them, expected load weight, etc., then compare that to how important style points are. In the end my personal preference would be to spend a little more and get the OEM stuff in this situation.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You like in NE? You gets what you pays for. Let me ask you a question: What do plan to bolt to said rails?

Reaction score
The original intension were cross bars.
It really wasn't about the cash as much as the extension of the rails to accommodate more rack types and cargo boxes. Atlantic didn't have this type. In any case I came across the roof rack that requires no rails on AB. I think this solves all my problems. The overland roof rack.

Alberta be a long way from NY yo..Lol

JWLR4

Reaction score
Turned out well. What's your method for securing your recovery boards up there; bungee or straps?

Just gave you a follow on IG and will stay in touch.
Thanks! For recovery boards, just small straps. Bungees would work, too. For larger stuff I use ratchet straps.

Saw your comment on my IG post (thanks for the follow). Like I mentioned there, I’ll likely add a small section of tubing (very small...don’t need much) under the middle of each rail to hit the middle mounting point in each channel. Just a little added bracing, and super easy to do.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I’ve been thinking of those open ends you talked about closing off. Someone must sell a simple ABS plastic cap to fit a piece of stock aluminum in that size. That would seem like the cleanest way to deal with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi