Rover Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$3-$4000 per year in maintenance....

I think all this $/year approach is useless without mileage per year and what kind. A vehicle driven on a single 100 mile round trip, once a week, is not getting anywhere near the same wear as a 50 mile per day commute or several hundred mile weekend trips along with off roading.

Even with all the weight on mine my brake rotors last for 3-4 years. At 100,000 miles I still have at least one original wheel bearing, maybe 2, 3 of the air struts, only 1 compressor replacement, rear differential (probably from towing 7800 lbs 4000 miles at 75-85 mph). There's been a lot of stuff but I've had it rolling since this time in 2007, so 8 years. It certainly has not cost $24,000 - $32,000 in annual maintenance !

I think at the 80-100 k range, people start getting all wound up about the cost but it's a cyclical thing that is much, much less in some years.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best I believe he will do is $11K.

Is this worth the price? Am I taking a high risk on reliability at this age and amount of miles?

If they can provide from previous owner all the service records, then maybe it's a good price.

You really don't think they would come off the advertised priced more than $500? I think that price is about right for a lower mileage version or an HSE (even though this SE may have all the same options, which was possible back then)

"all new air ride system? ? Yeah right. "system" means a whole lot more to me than even all 4 air struts. Why the hell would it have gotten all 4, plus compressor, plus valve blocks, and height sensor arms and whatever else? THAT is a "system", not just a couple new bits possibly not even "genuine" parts. Some oem parts are just fine, but the value in "look what all we did before putting it up for sale" is total BS due to how much cheaper it can be to use oem parts and who to do the work properly?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any car like that I'd take directly to the actual brand dealer and pay for a "pre-purchase-inspection"

Did it once with an Audi allroad 4.2 and found all sorts of crap the "nice old dad" owner said was no big deal. F-ing a-hole. He knew damn well as the same dealer had that car VIN in the system and said he'd declined a bunch of suggested work the previous year.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, I know a rover fanatic in Nashville who could point you to someone trustworthy to check it out for you. He may also be a good source for another LR3.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, one more thing. At that dealer, the '88 land cruiser is WAY more cool.

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for a pre-purchase inspection. Money well spent.

You will spend more on up keep for an LR3 than you may think. I am under $1k/yr, but I only do 5k miles a year...

twoboarders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your are right jwest.

I didn't have any issues until after 75K. I just hit 100K. To give you a snapshot of the past year please see below.

- 06.19.15 Mileage 102K Christmas Tree Faults. (see my other post) Dealer found wiring harness near VDM/ABS module was bad. Repined CAN wiring. No charge.

- 05.22.15 Mileage 101,274 Christmas Tree Faults. Dealer found corrosion in transfer case module. Replaced transfer case module. Found water in passenger floor, replaced wiper cowling and installed A pillar kit. $767.35 for parts, labor, tax etc.

- 05.01.15 Mileage 100,747 Christmas Tree Faults. Dealer found chaffed wire shorting on the frame in rear. Repaired wiring. Installed sleeve over harness and secured. $276.82 for parts, labor, tax etc.

- 03.22.15 Mileage 97, 364 Oil change. $84.74 for parts, labor, tax etc.

- 02.27.15 Mileage 96,569 Christmas Tree Faults. Dealer replaced All Terrain Switch. No charge

- 02.20.15 Mileage 96,464 Christmas Tree Faults. Dealer replaced brake lamp switch. No Charge due to faulty part.

- 02.16.15 Mileage 96,004 Christmas Tree Faults. Dealer replaced brake lamp switch. $269.15 for parts, diagnostic and tax etc.

- 01.06.15 Mileage 93,370 Alternator failure. Dealer replaced alternator. $793.06 for parts, labor, tax etc.

- 10.03.14 Mileage 89,929 Dealer performed 90K service. Replaced front lower control arm bushings. Alignment. Replaced cracked thermostat housing. $2316.10 for parts, labor, tax etc.

- 06.11.14 Mileage 85,926 Dealer replaced starter motor. $828.76 for parts, labor, tax etc.

$5335.98 total

Last edited:

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a high mileage LR3 last year (225,000kms)

I bought it under the assumption that I am going to have to wrench on it, and at times it may be unpleasant.

I LOVE this truck. I love it when it's broken; I love it when it works. My advice would be if you're buying a high mileage LR3, buy it for the love of the vehicle, not because it is a smart purchase.

This is a complex vehicle. You WILL have problems with it, and they will be expensive if you don't know how to fix it yourself. I dislike calling it unreliable. I don't think that's the case, it's just that it's not an econobox that you can wing repairs on.

For me the LR3 is a lifestyle. I take it out on trails, do groceries with it, and then figure out what I've broken on it when I have time on the weekends.

To be honest the really serious repairs have been stupid things like thermostat housing, or Negative battery cable, things like that.

Anyway,

Hope this wall of text helps

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90