Running Board

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtsang

Reaction score
Hi All:

I have a 2005 LR3 that I am interested in putting on running boards to the car. However, I am not that impressed with the style that Land Rover carries. Anybody have any experience or ideas for some after market products. I like the look of the new running board on the BMWX5 and the MBZGL, but I have no idea if it will work with the LR3. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RT

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not seen anything on the market except for the standard LR running boards.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are the LR side tube "protection" bars. Right?

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it same as "rock slider"? Or this one is more cosmetic rather than off road function?

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think it would serve as a bit more cosmetic than others, but still offering protection at the same time. Regardless of how it looks on the car I would think along with any other piece of metal that is strapped to the car they would serve a similar purpose. Along with the sliders they would protect the body from hitting anything and messing anything up, it just depends how much you'd like to spend on the protection bars really. They look a bit more durable then the sliders, and in my opinion much more attractive. I think the darker the color of the car, the better it looks.

And to answer DuckDive's question, Yes, as the title of the link says "Land Rover LR3 Genuine Side Protector".

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The answer to this question really lies in how the tubes are attached to the vehicle. Are the brackets used strong enough to transfer the load to the frame without allowing the tubes to bend up and into the rocker panels? My guess is yes. However, I also think that the sliders from offroving are very good, too...but they are quite spendy.

I went with the side steps when I first bought my LR3 in 2005 because I think they look great and they protect the car from the most vile place to incur damage....the parking lot! The fact that those running boards stick out half a mile really does help the LR3 steer clear of door dings.

That said, they are a hinderance off-road....so I just spend a little more time and money beefing them up. An outfit near here welded steel plate to the bottom of the sidesteps and also to the existing outrigger brackets that they come with. I doubt that these "quasi-sliders" are quite as capable or durable as the offroving set, but for what I do they should suffice. I don't anticipate putting the weight of the entire vehicle on one of these sliders, or even half of it. They need simply to protect my doors and not get beat up themselves. I think they will do that. Aesthetically, they look the same as they always have from a distance. Up close, you can see that they now attach from the top.

I will test them out off-road soon, and then next time I detail the car I'll take some pics and post them. Until I take them out I can't say much more about how they will function, but they look like they'll do the job. I've only had them for about 2 weeks now.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still in the market for rock-sliders and saw many good ones recommended in this forum but since they are mostly located in West cost (I am in DE), I am hesitant to order them (not being able to inspect them in person, high shipping cost and possible installation issues).

Rather, if the LR genuine side protector does the job as a rock-slider (so far I thought it was just for cosmetic), I would like to get them installed at near dealer. I might have found an answer to my question :smile:

Last edited:

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm hit it on the head, it depends on what level of protection will "suffice"
If you want protection from car doors, the occasional protruding rock, or bottom
out at the top of the hill, the LR protection tubes are perfect. If you frequent rocky
terrain and have to actually slide over the top of rocks, and want to protect air tank & compressor..ect., the Rover Specialties sliders are the call. I opted for the sliders.

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it same as "rock slider"? Or this one is more cosmetic rather than off road function?

Cosmetic! Bend one of those little tubes and you won't be able to open your door! The true rock sliders from www.offroving.com are the ultimate in protection, but another product that provides some degree of protection is the Rasta4x4 stuff. I wouldn't put the whole weight of the truck on one, but will help you slide over a rock with a reduced risk of damage. The OffRoving ones are bulletproof though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72