Screeching sound in front of car after first turned off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nickslr4

Reaction score
First want to say ive been reading here for a while and happy to finally have an LR4 and be a part of the community!

Background, I have a 2011 LR4 HSE (white paint with black interior) with 176k miles on it. I bought it from a LR mechanic that has recently changed out the timing chain, front struts, air compressor, coolant pipes and water pump. I also recently have changed out discs and rotors around the car. Drives great and couldnt be happier to finally have one.

The reason for this post is recently when I first turn the car off I can hear everything "powering down" per say (suspension for example) and sometimes i hear this random screeching sound. Its hard to explain. At first i was thinking it had something to do with suspension, but this seems odd. Its a semi loud almost scratching sound for just about a second. Has anyone experienced or have an idea? Thanks again!

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it happen every single time? Can you post a video?
Been reading this board for a while and had tow LR4's and never heard any "powering down" sound. You mean like something that spins coming to a stop?

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two things come to mind. If it is more of a screeching noise, possibly the parking brake (even if your not using it). If it is more of a whining sound, possibly the PCV. My PCV was squealing a bit at shut down - I replaced it and it stopped, now its doing it again periodically. Its kind of a high pitched squeal for just a couple seconds right after shutting off the engine.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The suspension also "off gases" I believe, meaning I sometimes hear mine letting off pressure, I realize this is not a squealing sound; could it be somehow related to that? A video would be super helpful... Is it repetitive? Is it just on the engine-off event, so could it be something that while winding down makes some kind of harmonic sound as it passes through it's natural frequency?

equilibrium

Reaction score
If the scratching noise is on full turn then you need to grease the steering bump stops.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the mechanical cooling fan "winding" down when the engine is shut off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV