Series 1 Disco starting problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djfbug

Reaction score
Hi all, new here and got a problem with my 1999 Series1 Disco, 3.9l V8.
A bit of a tale but problem started before Xmas, starting to climb steep hill and engine cut out. Couldn't restart the engine but it would fire with fuel down the air intake - Fuel pump diagnosed as the problem and replaced. Two days later same problems reoccurred, realized I hadn't changed the fuel filter and did so - problem solved. Car ran for a couple of weeks then wouldn't start when left for a few days. Charged battery and with a booster still wouldn't start. Two days later tried to start the car again and no worries fired up straight away.
Car ran for a week then no start again, cleaned inside Distributor - car started.
Ran car for four days then car wont start again, battery at 12.5 volts dropping to 8.5 when cranking so put booster on but still no start!
Any ideas?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, your charging system has to be between 13.6 and 14.4 or you can have starting issues, sounds like you have a bad alternator.
What country are you in, I ask because our D1's have 4.0 engines and coil packs not distributors.

djfbug

Reaction score
I am in Australia, thanks for your response I will get it checked

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4