Should I buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats! I got my 2011 HSE yesterday. I'm already convinced the purchase was a good one. Nothing drives like these.

Welcome to the party! I believe that you will really enjoy your new LR4. I've had mine for not quite a year and still love it.

Rob

Reaction score
Congrats! I got my 2011 HSE yesterday. I'm already convinced the purchase was a good one. Nothing drives like these.

I took deliver on Monday - Zermatt Silver Lux, Ebony interior - I feel like royalty driving down the road - photos to follow after my first trip up the mountain this weekend.
Very very happy I took the step forward
Thanks

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Was it difficult to adjust to driving on the "RIGHT" side of the road?

Rob

Reaction score
Congrats! Was it difficult to adjust to driving on the "RIGHT" side of the road?

Rob

Actually I drive a lot in Continental Europe so consider myself bidirectional if that's the correct expression - I assume you know why we drive on the opposite side?
Anyway I'm looking forward to getting to know the "Silver Goose" as she is now known
Thanks

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm setting my self up by asking, "why do you drive on the wrong side of the road?" The information might be good for us all to know.

My wife and I are taking out kids to Europe this summer. Never been on the otherside of the pond before. Flying into Heathrow and after 14 days we fly out of Rome back to the states.

We will be spending 3 days in England. We will visit 6 other countries after that. I won't be driving while there unless I get a guest visit to Top Gear.

Rob

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm setting my self up by asking, "why do you drive on the wrong side of the road?" The information might be good for us all to know.

My wife and I are taking out kids to Europe this summer. Never been on the otherside of the pond before. Flying into Heathrow and after 14 days we fly out of Rome back to the states.

We will be spending 3 days in England. We will visit 6 other countries after that. I won't be driving while there unless I get a guest visit to Top Gear.

Rob

We like to blame Napolean; here is a quick summary -

History and origin

About a quarter of the world drives on the left, and the countries that do are mostly old British colonies. This strange quirk perplexes the rest of the world; but there is a perfectly good reason.

In the past, almost everybody travelled on the left side of the road because that was the most sensible option for feudal, violent societies. Since most people are right-handed, swordsmen preferred to keep to the left in order to have their right arm nearer to an opponent and their scabbard further from him. Moreover, it reduced the chance of the scabbard (worn on the left) hitting other people.

Furthermore, a right-handed person finds it easier to mount a horse from the left side of the horse, and it would be very difficult to do otherwise if wearing a sword (which would be worn on the left). It is safer to mount and dismount towards the side of the road, rather than in the middle of traffic, so if one mounts on the left, then the horse should be ridden on the left side of the road.

In the late 1700s, however, teamsters in France and the United States began hauling farm products in big wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. These wagons had no driver's seat; instead the driver sat on the left rear horse, so he could keep his right arm free to lash the team. Since he was sitting on the left, he naturally wanted everybody to pass on the left so he could look down and make sure he kept clear of the oncoming wagon’s wheels. Therefore he kept to the right side of the road.

In addition, the French Revolution of 1789 gave a huge impetus to right-hand travel in Europe. The fact is, before the Revolution, the aristocracy travelled on the left of the road, forcing the peasantry over to the right, but after the storming of the Bastille and the subsequent events, aristocrats preferred to keep a low profile and joined the peasants on the right. An official keep-right rule was introduced in Paris in 1794, more or less parallel to Denmark, where driving on the right had been made compulsory in 1793.

Later, Napoleon's conquests spread the new rightism to the Low Countries (Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg), Switzerland, Germany, Poland, Russia and many parts of Spain and Italy. The states that had resisted Napoleon kept left – Britain, the Austro-Hungarian Empire and Portugal. This European division, between the left- and right-hand nations would remain fixed for more than 100 years, until after the First World War.

As an aside Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear is a huge fan of the Range Rover, have you seen him drive to the top of the mountain in a landrover? great tv, you can find it on You Tube !!!!

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Rob

I believe this was due to "wars" - if the enemy steals your ride it'll be harder to reverse engineer, or use. LOL.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JC,

Thanks for the great response! I always love the educational aspects of being on a public forum. It makes total sense now. I actually figured I was getting set up for some joke.

Yep, I have seen Jeremy drive the Discovery 3. They always refer to the Range Rover as the Range Rooney. I understand the big ape, Captian Slow and the midget don't like all the "bling" of the current Land Rovers. None of were impressed with the LED lights on the front for sure. Top Gear is some good TV. Of course what do I know. As Top gear points out, us Americans are all fat, drug dealing murders...

Count,

Did I tell you my first car was a 1970 240Z? Small world. I just ran across some pictures of it this weekend while getting stuff ready for one of our kids HS graduations.

Rob

Reaction score
JC,

Thanks for the great response! I always love the educational aspects of being on a public forum. It makes total sense now. I actually figured I was getting set up for some joke.

Yep, I have seen Jeremy drive the Discovery 3. They always refer to the Range Rover as the Range Rooney. I understand the big ape, Captian Slow and the midget don't like all the "bling" of the current Land Rovers. None of were impressed with the LED lights on the front for sure. Top Gear is some good TV. Of course what do I know. As Top gear points out, us Americans are all fat, drug dealing murders...

Count,

Did I tell you my first car was a 1970 240Z? Small world. I just ran across some pictures of it this weekend while getting stuff ready for one of our kids HS graduations.

Rob

Guys - Im thinking of putting a bike/ski rack on the car via the tow hitch; do you have any insight per chance?

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one on my LR4 right now. I will take a picture and get it up on the site.

Rob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge