Side Steps / Running Boards & other accessories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

deanz

Has anyone had side steps / running boards installed? Are they useful? Any opinion of their functionality vs. cost (about $900)?

Also, does anyone have any opinion on side moldings? Do they really help protect from dings and such or are they really just cosmetic at best?

Thanks.

discothree

Reaction score
I had the side steps and the side moldings installed when i picked up my LR3.

The side steps are useful if you don't plan on lowering the vehicle to access height all the time. Also is you have little ones like I do, it is very useful to them. Easier for them to get in and out of the vehicle. So to me the side steps were worth it.

As for the side moldings, I try to park far away from other vehicles so it doesn't get dinged. ;-)

But I also found that since the LR3 doors are pretty big, the side moldings broke up the door a little bit and gave it some character at the very least. Plus the cost was very minimal for the moldings compared to fixing door dings.

D

deanz

Thanks discothree.

I'm being charged $175 for side moldings and $300 for mud flaps (both installed prices). Does this sound right to you (or anyone else)?

Thanks.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's cheap, compared to the labor rates here. (Pushing $140/hr.) In parts, that's at least $70 and $140, respectively.

S

schafari

You can do both very easily yourself. Mud flaps are extremely easy on the LR3. Three screws each. Plus, no problem with clearance issues installing. You can get them for $65 for the front and $65 for the rear. No way I would pay the dealer to install these.

D

deanz

Schafari,

Thanks. What about the side molding? How hard is that to install?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the mud flaps myself. Fairly easy. I didn't do the side moldings - it was done at delivery... they just stick on, but you do need to level & position it correctly. Don't make a mistake or you'll be re-buying them, or replacing the double-stick tape by hand.

discothree

Reaction score
I paid in Canadian dollars so $170US is like $5680 CDN or something like that... ;-)

I got them to put in on before I took delivery of it. I think I paid $1700 CDN or so(they charged me 1 hr labour to do it)... I can look it up when I get home, but I think it was around there:
The side steps were $1100, mouldings $138 (i believe, nothing outrageous or anything) and the between $200-$250 each for front and back.(all CDN)

But they did throw in the rubber mats. (yay... better than nothing i guess)

One thing I liked that I couldn't get('cuz I have a 7 seater) is that sliding rollout floor.

BTW, does anyone know if there is an aftermarket lockable gas cap for the LR3's anywhere?

I don't understand LR for not making the fuel door lockable. I drove a 2000 Range Rover as a loaner and it had a release button for the fuel door. Even Civics have them as a standard. But I digress....(maybe that should be in a different thread...)

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
discothree said:
I drove a 2000 Range Rover as a loaner and it had a release button for the fuel door. Even Civics have them as a standard. But I digress....(maybe that should be in a different thread...)
Yeah, off topic. It should lock the fuel door when the doors lock, like it does in other regions. (Like our Audi.) Note that LR managed to hose this up and have had multiple reports of failures that cause the door to get stuck. :) Maybe it's good we don't get it in North America.

I don't think you can siphon the LR3 in North America. Like many modern fuel tanks, I'm pretty sure it's blocked. So, it would only prevent the casual vandal from pouring crap in there... the serious one would break the door off. But it does make the vehicle feel a bit "cheap."

S

schafari

The body side moldings look easy as well; however, I just got them and have not installed them yet. It looks like a "finesse" job. Take your time, follow the directions, and it will be easy. It is basically, measure, level, stick. I got the moldings for about $70 online. You put down a strip of painters masking tape first. Once you get that aligned, it is cake. Simply put the moldings above it following the same line, and done.

(Grommet, I saw you have an Audi. I am a long time VW/Audi person. Just selling my A6 4.2 this morning as a matter of fact. I couldn't wait any longer for the Q7.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9