Sirius in LR3 (Need installation help)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

lacarruk1

I want to buy the new Sirius S50 (Nice Color Interface). Does anyone have any idea on installation? Is there an extra AUX jack or INPUT on the radio besides the one being used for my iPod? The stereo installer was telling me he would most likely have to install the Sirius receiver into the same AUX input for MP3 players with a 3 way switch off of the AUX button. (1 = iPod, 2 = Sirius, 3 = Off)

I'd rather just be able to press the AUX button twice like they do in the RR Sport with Sirius. You press AUX once, you are on MP3, press again, SIRIUS.

Anyone know the logistics on doing a nice install?

Thanks

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, there is only one actual AUX input in the rear of the head unit that's wired to the jack. A manual or electronic switch is the only way. (The OEM DVD system uses a "dummy" plug in the AUX jack to switch AUX to the DVD audio source; still a switch of sorts.)

(The "factory" Sirius is integrated and doesn't use "AUX"... just happens to use the button, since it was an afterthought.)

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lacarruk1

grommet said:
No, there is only one actual AUX input in the rear of the head unit that's wired to the jack. A manual or electronic switch is the only way. (The OEM DVD system uses a "dummy" plug in the AUX jack to switch AUX to the DVD audio source; still a switch of sorts.)

(The "factory" Sirius is integrated and doesn't use "AUX"... just happens to use the button, since it was an aftertought.)

Do you think if they wire the Sirius unit off of the AUX input with a switch I will experience that volume problem we all have with our iPods on the Aux jack? (BTW - Solved that one by buying the Belkin car kit with amplifier - iPod sounds just as loud as CD's and Radio now)

They were also talking FM transmitter but I have had no luck with those so I want to hardwire.

Also - Does anyone have any issues with AUX volume in 2006 LR3's? Was this just a 2005 issue?

T

toddjb123

I had an '06 loaner and the AUX volume was comprable to my '05. Personally, I think they did it intentionally to prevent consumer devices from overloading the stereo system.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The AUX volume behavior is the same on all LR3 and RRS vehicles currently. It's "as designed." The real flaw is that there isn't an AUX volume offset setting in the head unit since you can't guarantee the output level of any device. Many devices will still be "too quiet." I haven't use the S50, so you won't know until you try. Odds are you'll get close in level.

Even some iPod models with the Belkin charger/line-out (which is not really amplified -- the knob is an attenuator) are still too quiet. I know the Nano is at least -5 "Land Rover volume" comparing identical material. (Original CD in LR3 vs. "ripped" CD on iPod without any tweaking, connected via line-out/Belkin & AUX.) But it is much better than the lower level headphone jack. (What iPod do you use?)

As with everything, it also depends on the content. The "louder" & overcompressed/clipped content that exists today may seem just as loud playing through the iPod.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

schafari

The Aux in volume level is extremely low using my XM RoadyXT. I am installing a car audio product - a line driver - to resolve this. It basically is a pre-amp that boosts the weak signal from a source. I am using the Phoenix Gold Tantrum EQ6. It boosts the input signal, has six bands of equalization, and has a master volume control as well. Most important, it can boost the incoming signal to about 8 volts output max.

It will be installed in the console box. All wiring will be under the console.

T

tzinsli

The FM trasmitter works great for me, without volume issues..

Attachments

• IMG_0906_1.jpg
    IMG_0906_1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 279

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tzinsli said:
The FM trasmitter works great for me, without volume issues..
Yes, that's expected since the radio doesn't have a volume issue. :) I personally just don't like adding another level of possible signal deteriation; the heavy lossy satellite compression is bad enough.

L

lacarruk1

Phoenix Gold Tantrum EQ6

schafari said:
The Aux in volume level is extremely low using my XM RoadyXT. I am installing a car audio product - a line driver - to resolve this. It basically is a pre-amp that boosts the weak signal from a source. I am using the Phoenix Gold Tantrum EQ6. It boosts the input signal, has six bands of equalization, and has a master volume control as well. Most important, it can boost the incoming signal to about 8 volts output max.

It will be installed in the console box. All wiring will be under the console.

Did you install yet and did it work well? Is it just for your AUX? Or for the entire LR3 Radio system?

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tzinsli - I just got the unit in your picture. Can you tell me do you have any issue with the left channel being not as loud as the right ... the levels are off on mine.

Thanks!
Scott

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9