Sluggish/Roaring V8 From A Start?-Read

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

SpiceIt

I've seen several post on people complaining about their V8 models becomming sluggish or roaring once the motor heats up and losing its ability to accelerate from a stop (Including me). I wanted to pass on what I have recently learned.

After 4 attempts and 30 days in the shop, it finally appears that my dealer has solved this problem. I had received the new gas tank per the recall, new ECU, and several reprograms but my issue was caused by a faulty fuel rail on the passenger side of the V8. My truck is like a whole new vehicle now.

If you are having this same issue, and they can't seem to solve it, you may want to bring this up to your dealer.

Hope this helps.

K

KTMLC8

I had my cooling fan viscous coupling replaced due to a recall on that part per what my service advisor told me. If your fan noise gets louder as you accelerate your viscous coupling is probably engaging incorrectly. They are suppose to disengage after a certain RPM. Mine was sporadic at best. Have your dealeship look into that as well.

R

roverdawg

Hmmm. I've experienced those EXACT symptoms on a couple of occasions. From a stop. Accelerating, little power just a roar. Usually disappeared after a minute or so. Since it hasn't happened for a while, I'll probably have them address it when they replace the fuel tank. btw had my compressor replaced awhile back and the suspension faults are gone. Now, I'm dealing with a persistent engine check light but told 'no big deal' we'll clear it at your 15,000 mi checkup. Glad to hear as well that there's a software fix for the intermittent park distance sensor issue (delay on reverse issue). Other than these mostly minor issues, I'm loving the LR3.

T

tommithy

The fix for the PDC actually requires them to replace a module. I just had it done a week ago. So far so good.

T

texas911

I have the same thing, only occasionally, but kinda scary how loud the engine gets.

R

Rhcaspian

Fuel rail change

Folks, you may think me mad but i am operating an LR3 in a country with no service facilities, the nearest dealer is 1800 miles and 3 countries away. I have already made the journey once for a suspension software fault. 8 day round trip + 2 days to fix the problem, half my annual holiday allowance gone in one hit. I thought having returned that I don't want to repeat the journey unless forced to. I posted a note earlier in the year about the roaring noise I was experiencing. I followed this with one about the fact that my V8 would not accelerate, from a standstill unless I stood on the pedal and often it was so sluggish that it was down right dangerous. At that time no one had any solutions to either problem. The sluggishness become such a concern that I was considering selling the car but everyone who tried it noted the fact that it was "flat" With no service facilities I was having to put up with both the noise and the sluggishness. Reading this posting may allow some light at the end of the tunnel. So to my question - There is no LR dealer here but there is a main BMW dealer with a good workshop. Giving this some thought I could buy the spares I need - Fuel rail and Fan and have the BMW agent swap them out. The big question is, "will the garage need to hook the car to any electronic equipment once the rail is changed say for tuning purposes?"I ask this because he won't have such a facility.

Anyone know how big a job it is to replace a fuel rail?

Thanks

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how big a job it is to replace a fuel rail?
While I can't speak for the LR3 in particular -- in most cars it is not a job you should be scared of. The biggest concern with most modern motors being your ability to reapply the various covers and bits that must come off. Pretty engines seem to be all the rage.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99