Snapped crankshaft bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My local garage was doing the timing chain and tensioners on my 2012 V8, and sheared the crank bolt trying to get it off. Goodness know what torque this took! The bolt head is interesting: the markings are not clear, so I (and they?) can’t know if it is a left or right threader... and the flats of the head indicate that they tried turning it both directions.

Where we go from here is uncertain, but my question to the group is has anyone heard of a crank bolt being so tight that it breaks when trying to remove it?

(And why did Ford change from one tread to another? Surely a strange bit of engineering!)

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! No idea how beefy that bolt is. But the way I’ve always told what the thread direction is is using the actual engine rotation direction. IOW, think about that bolt head as having a lot of mass and inertia. You want it so that the engine rotation makes it tighten itself down against that inertia. So whichever thread pitch makes that happen with the stock engine rotation is likely it.

I am brand new to the LR4, so I can’t tell you which direction that would be.

Reaction score
An update for completeness: The garage managed to drill and (I assume) easyout the snapped bolt and the repair was completed. Various other parts were replaced (front timing plate?) and lots of labor charged, but as it was the dealer paying at least I didn't have to remortgage my house.

Timing chain rattle has gone, idle is smooth and 500 miles driven so assuming all ok. There is still a detectable engine vibration at around 3500rpm, but it is smooth below and above so I am ignoring that...

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a story! Glad it was all sorted out in the end and that the car works well!

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing chain rattle has gone, idle is smooth and 500 miles driven so assuming all ok. There is still a detectable engine vibration at around 3500rpm, but it is smooth below and above so I am ignoring that...
Good to hear it's back in service. If the vibration is only around 3000rpm while accelerating, there is a TSB with a fix, adding a damper to the transfer case. If it's 3500rpm to redline, I'd wild guess engine mounts...?

Reaction score
If the vibration is only around 3000rpm while accelerating, there is a TSB with a fix, adding a damper to the transfer case. If it's 3500rpm to redline, I'd wild guess engine mounts...?

Might be the former - do you know what the TSB number is?

F.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be the former - do you know what the TSB number is?

F.
Sure, it is LTB00305NAS3. See attached PDF. My 2010 felt exactly as this describes, during medium to hard acceleration, between 2400-2800rpm. Installing the damper cured it 95%. Why JLR didn't have this installed as standard equipment, I don't understand...

Attachments

• LTB_00305NAS3 - Transmission vibration damper.pdf
    83.7 KB · Views: 70

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV