Someone explain how to use a recovery strap please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again. Great info in this thread.

I purchased the 30' 27,000 lbs. strap and a couple of those 3/4" 4.75 ton shackles.
I'll now look out for a dog bone or something similar that I can use to take up slack.

I suppose, I can also just attach the end of the strap directly to the shackle. As most of my pulls would be along side the rode (snow/sand) or on the beach, I don't usually have to take up slack to avoid obstacles. But it is good to have the knowledge of how to do that.

As always, I'm always more concerned with how to attach the strap to the car I'm towing, particularly when that person doesn't know. And, even if they do know it sometimes means that your strap may be rubbing up against some rough/sharp metal that can damage it. I like the idea of throwing a floor mat over the strap in this location. Have the stuck vehicle offer up a floor mat if they want to get towed.

I guess to summarize, a lot of the conversation here was around like-minded offroad folks where everyone has the knowledge & equipment & expectation to tow each other out. In my case, I would either be asking for a tow from some unprepared vehicle on its way past, or I'd be towing out someone else who didn't expect to get stuck. It is a little different as in those situations I usually have the most knowledge on the recovery and as you can see here...that isn't saying much. :)

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Todd - experience is the best teacher. There were just some situations to avoid that might hurt someone. I have been on both sides of the coin, pulling a buddy out that has the proper recovery points and knows what he is doing, and also pulling out your run-of-the-mill helpless citizen who slid off into the ditch. I always tell that person that I am happy to help and will do so with care, but damage to their vehicle is a possibility, to which I am not responsible for. Often times this seems to instill their confidence in me. I have yet to damage either vehicle.

J.D.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased the 30' 27,000 lbs. strap and a couple of those 3/4" 4.75 ton shackles.
I'll now look out for a dog bone or something similar that I can use to take up slack.

If you’re still here, what is that dog bone you mention? And have your 4.75 t shackles worked well with the 27K lbs or 12 t strap? I always wonder how to pair these ratings together. I mean, I know that with the car weighing up to 3.5 t, she strap should be at least double, better still, triple that. But would 15 t (x 4) be too much? And shouldn’t the shackle be 8 t at least, too?

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory has no installed recovery points, You need to hear that. There is a loop under the front and rear of the truck, but they are only to anchor your truck to a transporter and are not intended to be used as a recovery. They can be torn off and fly right thru your windshield when they break loose.
Wait a minute, there’s a vid on YT showing a crane lifting THREE at once, the first being an LR3 or LR4 and the other two hanging down from it - all using those loops precisely! Myself, I’ve tested the rear one, got kinetically pulled out of thick silt, it worked beautifully. And the car was loaded to the brim then, too.

ggrupea

Reaction score
Hi, I have a full recovery equipment (thats what I think, but sometimes murphy could attacks). First of all, straps are to tow car to car, so you will always need another car to use them.

About traps, the "kit" to use straps are:

- strap
- shackles
- something with a good weight to put in the middle of the strap to prevent if its broke.

Here a video with information about recovery with straps: Click here for video

about my recovery kit:

- strap to recovery x1
- tree protection strap x1
- recovery sheave x1
- Warn Winch 12.000 lbs x1
- Gloves (very important) x1 pair
- 10 mts cord x1
- Winch amortiguator x1
- shackles x3

Hope this helps you

Last edited: