Someone explain how to use a recovery strap please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wildewinds

Reaction score
So I got me a recovery strap. Wide and strong. No metal hooks, just the loops on the end.

My question is... if it doesn't have hooks, how do you attach it to two cars? Do you tie a knot? I suppose you could just run it around something and put one end through one of the loops on one side, but what about the other side? Let's just assume they don't have a hook to slip the loop over.

If you do tie a knot, is there a preferred knot to use?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While we're on the topic, I'd like to purchase a recovery strap, with hooks. The one I have has seen better days and got frayed by the last vehicle I pulled out (strap rubbed up against his bumper).

Any online that you'd recommend? I'm never quite sure what strength I need. We have a 5000 lb car, how much in excess of that should a strap be rated?!?

If a snap strap really is the better option, I suppose the u-bolts mentioned above which work with the snap strap at that same website. I mainly just want something compact enough to store in the side bins in the back of our trucks....and not take up the entire box as I have jumper cables and other things jammed int here as well.
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=451

Okay, a little reading and this article helped answer some questions. Sounds like my emergency "tow" strap that I've been using for years is the wrong solution. Doh! I'll be ordering a ****** strap...
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Tow_Straps.htm

If I get the ****** Strap above and two of those u-bolts it'll cost me $90 + shipping. Certainly cheaper than other options like having the high tide wash over your vehicle. But, still curious if anyone recommends anything else in particular? Thanks...

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, in the spirit of continuing to answer my own questions :) I have come across this website that seems to offer a quality product as well, and a little cheaper.

Straps;
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/recoverystrapstowstraps-c-48.html

Shackles;
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/anchorshacklescrewpin34steel475ton-p-2465.html

I'm thinking of getting the 3" x 30' 27,000 lbs. strap and two of the
anchor shackles - 3/4" 4.75 Ton.

How does that sound?

The other website said that you measure a shackle's strength with a 5 to 1 ratio?!? Why is that?

Trynian

Reaction score
While we're on the topic, I'd like to purchase a recovery strap, with hooks. The one I have has seen better days and got frayed by the last vehicle I pulled out (strap rubbed up against his bumper).

Any online that you'd recommend? I'm never quite sure what strength I need. We have a 5000 lb car, how much in excess of that should a strap be rated?!?

If a snap strap really is the better option, I suppose the u-bolts mentioned above which work with the snap strap at that same website. I mainly just want something compact enough to store in the side bins in the back of our trucks....and not take up the entire box as I have jumper cables and other things jammed int here as well.
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=451

Okay, a little reading and this article helped answer some questions. Sounds like my emergency "tow" strap that I've been using for years is the wrong solution. Doh! I'll be ordering a ****** strap...
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Tow_Straps.htm

If I get the ****** Strap above and two of those u-bolts it'll cost me $90 + shipping. Certainly cheaper than other options like having the high tide wash over your vehicle. But, still curious if anyone recommends anything else in particular? Thanks...

I have heard from several that that ARB you are looking at is one if the best out there.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard from several that that ARB you are looking at is one if the best out there.

Masterpull makes a nice 'Super Yanker' as well.

http://www.masterpull.com/cpage.cfm?cpid=425

I personally think these types of recoveries that use kinetic energy are the scariest, and would use all the options I had before I resorted to really using something as dynamic as this.

I'd be more concerned with the recovery point failing before the actual strap/rope broke.

I use a 3" x 30' strap, and it has a little stretch in it.

Probably worth it to have both in your box, which I dont.

For what it's worth, and in case you didnt realize, ARB makes bomber products. I'd have full faith in their strap. I'd be more concerned of breaking whatever I attached their strap too. :)

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best strap is the 3/4" Yanker by Viking,
However, for our class of vehicle, a 3"x30', 30,000 lbs recovery strap is more typical and ARB makes the best one.

snatchStrap.jpg

Use 3/4" shackles to secure the strap to the front or rear recovery point on the LR3. A 3/4" shackle has the following strength characteristics (generally):
3/4" Shackle
9,500 lb Working Load Limit
47,500 lb Ultimate Strength
7/8" Pin Diameter

shackle-2.jpg

Do NOT use a Winch line, winch line extension, or tree saver as a recovery strap, as these are non-elastic and damage may result. Similarly, don't use a recovery strap in conjunction with winch rigging. Use the proper gear in the proper manner and live to tell about it

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any specs on the factory recovery points? I have the above strap and shackles, the LR3 (the front one, by appearance at least) seems to be the weak point. There's really nothing wrong with a traditional tow strap, assuming that the vehicle isn't that stuck and the towing rig has good traction. Just slow and easy. Also a very good idea to hang something (I've tied a sandbag to the middle) over the middle of the ****** strap to absorb the energy if something breaks. Personally I would also put the hood up for added protection.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The safest way to secure a strap to a vehicle is to pass the loop through the eye and than put a one inch wooden dowel through the loop. A dowel about one foot long works fine, even a stout stick will work. The dowel should break before the strap and if it does it's not likely to go flying. Next, wrap an old blanket, towel, jacket even a floor mat around the strap at about the mid point. This will act as a parachute if the strap goes flying.

This is the method recommended by the Jeep Jamboree people. In their safety brochures they used to show a picture of a CJ that was recovering another vehicle when the eye of the stuck vehicle let go. The metal hook went through the rear glass, seat back and front grass of the CJ before coming up tight and being run over. I think they also recommend that the recovery vehicle pull out the stuck vehicle in reverse / hook the strap to the front bumper of the recovery vehicle and than do the pulling with the hood open. The open hood acts like a shield if something lets go. There is another advantage to using reverse instead of 1st (particularly if you have a manual transmission) the gearing is lower on reverse than it is on 1st so you have more pulling power. This might seem like overkill but, consider that if you have a stuck vehicle, you already have enough problems, don't add to them by having someone get seriously hurt.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got me a recovery strap. Wide and strong. No metal hooks, just the loops on the end.

My question is... if it doesn't have hooks, how do you attach it to two cars? Do you tie a knot? I suppose you could just run it around something and put one end through one of the loops on one side, but what about the other side? Let's just assume they don't have a hook to slip the loop over.

If you do tie a knot, is there a preferred knot to use?

If you need a metal bumper with a strong point to hook a D shackle to, then you need to find a safe place to hook the other end of the strap to on the vehicle you want to pull, using the second shackle.
You should never even attempt doing this if you have not been shown/trained by someone who knows all the safe way to do it.
Here is one of the better links to winch straps and pull straps.
http://www.masterpull.com/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99