Spacers. Yes or No? If yes, then how?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thread resurrection!!!

Forgive me for what might seem like a “hell 2the NO question” but does anyone have any experience with running spacers of a different size front to rear?

Or for that matter, in the rear only?

Would they really screw with the vehicle dynamics? Or cause a serious problem?

Thanks in advance for the insight!

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it would depend on the size. I run 2.5mm in the front to clear the brembo calipers, and nothing in the rear. I do not experience any negative effects. I'm sure there is a breaking point for the width of the spacer may tax the suspension, but it should only affect the axle upon which it is mounted. I'll wait for a guru to chime in, as I am not sure if the increased track width of one axle would wreak havoc on the terrain response system.

CaliDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jwest[

Might you have any thoughts on this?
1 inch spacer in the rear only?

Any trouble for terrain response system potentially?

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't TR primarily looking for a differential in rotational speed between wheels to make its adjustments (i.e. wheel slippage)?

I'm not a guru, but I wouldn't expect any TR implications from that configuration. Same rationale by which the TR doesn't throw a fit when adding a front locker. With the front locked, all the TR response sees is two wheels rotating at the same speed and thinks everything is OK.

mrezo

Reaction score
Also wondering what to do here. I just purchased a set of Tuffant 18" wheels and 275/65/r18 KO2s. My last set of tires were 285/50/20 Nitto G2s on factory wheels.

After reading a few separate threads, it sounded like the 275s would fit in an LR4 with minor trimming to plastics. I was able to confirm at the tire shop that at stock height the tires do in fact significantly rub the frame horns at full lock. Enough so that I feel that the frame horn will damage the tire if attempting to parallel park or make a u-turn. In offroad height, the tires just clear the frame horns by the width of a credit card.

The 285s rubbed, but just slightly. They would kiss the frame horn just enough polish the metal frame. But I could still turn the wheels to lock and park with no issues.

I elected to keep the rig at stock height with the wheels and tires installed to maximize suspension travel and to not mess the geometry. But, now I'm left with a vehicle that I can't turn to lock without possibly cutting to the frame horns. Wife also drives the rig, this would drive her nuts.

I didn't want to add spacers for the reasons that @jwest(thanks for all your posts on tire fitment, btw) posted above, but I'm revisiting the idea in lieu of cutting into the frame.

What have others done to get 275/65/r18s to work with their LR4?

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 275/65s for years with factory 18s/spacer and then Compos without spacer.

I don't think there is a combination you can run that won't rub without cutting the horns.