Spare Wheel Protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rix92x

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How have some of you secured your full size spare? What have you done to make sure that noone helps themselves to your wheel and tire? I would like to know the best practices some of you have -wheel locks, chain....etc... Pictures would be great so I can see how I should do it.

Rix92x

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was sure someone who lives in a major Metro area has had to defend their rover against five finger discount merchants.
I tried searching the forums and found as little as well....
I guess for now a weather proof lock and chain from Trek will have to do.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where will you be keeping your spare?? I have mine on a swing-away and it isn't locked down by anymore then the lug nuts. I do live in a Major metropolitan area but I think I am one of two that wheels an LR3. So my fullsize stock wheel with matching spare tire is not something I worry about anyone stealing...

Rix92x

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where will you be keeping your spare?? I have mine on a swing-away and it isn't locked down by anymore then the lug nuts. I do live in a Major metropolitan area but I think I am one of two that wheels an LR3. So my fullsize stock wheel with matching spare tire is not something I worry about anyone stealing...

For now in the stock location under the truck. I get the chance to wheel every couple months. So for now underneath is it. I would love a swing away mount, but for now...and that fact I just spent this summer's fun money on 5 new MTRs all around-the boss tells me I'm not allowed any new toys for a couple months.

rovers3

Reaction score
Although i do not see it on their site i did see something in the July issue of Land Rover Owners International,
bellautoservices.co.uk has a Sport/ Discovery 3 Wheel saver
Add states
Expensive alloy wheels carried under the vehicle are vunerable to theift. These wheel savers keep potential theives a bay and are avaliable in 3 sized-17, 18, 19 in black and silver.
Might be worth looking at.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For now in the stock location under the truck. I get the chance to wheel every couple months. So for now underneath is it. I would love a swing away mount, but for now...and that fact I just spent this summer's fun money on 5 new MTRs all around-the boss tells me I'm not allowed any new toys for a couple months.

Personally if you are just keeping it underneath I don't think you have anything to worry about. It can only be lowered down from the inside. I wouldn't think someone could reach under and cut the cable. If they do they are going to be in for a surprise when 90lbs of mass comes down on thier arm!!!

Rix92x

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although i do not see it on their site i did see something in the July issue of Land Rover Owners International,
bellautoservices.co.uk has a Sport/ Discovery 3 Wheel saver
Add states
Expensive alloy wheels carried under the vehicle are vunerable to theift. These wheel savers keep potential theives a bay and are avaliable in 3 sized-17, 18, 19 in black and silver.
Might be worth looking at.

Thank you both...I will check it out.
The dealer had to replace the winch on the spare tire this morning as the one on the rig stripped out when we tried to hoist up the full size. Thankfully, The LR dealer, International Autos in Orland Park, (shamless plug as these guys have been great) replaced it under warranty with only minimal debating the whole..."how did it happen, what did the Goodyear shop do?" So for now, a hardened and weatherproof Trek Bike lock is protecting the investment....

Rix92x

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Emailed Uncle Ray on the D3 UK site to see how much shipping would be to send one to the area. I see he quoted another UK member 65.00 quid plus shipping...at todays exchange rate im sure that s pushing well over $100.00US if not more for parts plus whatever Intl shipping costs...

we will see

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72