Spare wheel/tire options.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So lets say I wanted to lose my little ghetto spare and get something more... useful. Anybody know where one could get a cheap wheel in 5x120mm that can hold a decent tire? I dont care if its steel or whatever.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for an oem rim ebay or forum for sale ads

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will a Discovery 2 18" fit? Or even a disco 1 16" will it clear the brakes? They are 5x120

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No...the 16s won't clear the brakes and the 18s don't have a big enough axle bore.

A wheel from an X5 will fit if you want to find a cheaper option...there are simply more out there to find used. Careful though; one poster on this board says that he had an X5 rim that wouldn't fit. I don't know much about the different X5 options; I just know that I found one that did. I paid $100 for the rim with about a 50% tread BFG Long Trail tire mounted and balanced. Since I just throw it in the back when I hit the trail, that was a perfect CHEAP option.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember how many spokes but it's an 18" wheel.

Trynian

Reaction score
Keep watching ebay, there were 3 18" rims for sale for less thant $100 2 weeks ago.

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know exactly what your looking for, but I found this brand new OEM one at...

http://www.partsultimate.com

Price is $128 and they don't gouge you for shipping...($25)

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty good, and since you're looking for a "full-time spare" and not one that you take with you when you hit the trails like in my situation, it's probably better to go with the matching LR rim. When I was doing my shopping they were not readily available used.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm the guy that went with the X5 RIM that didn't fit . . . for me it turned out that the holes for the lugnuts in the rim were not big enough for the LRs lugnuts to fit.
Also noticed that the rim I had had concave holes, and the lugnuts are flat, not convex, so even if the fit, I didn't think contact would be too good . . .

-David

No...the 16s won't clear the brakes and the 18s don't have a big enough axle bore.

A wheel from an X5 will fit if you want to find a cheaper option...there are simply more out there to find used. Careful though; one poster on this board says that he had an X5 rim that wouldn't fit. I don't know much about the different X5 options; I just know that I found one that did. I paid $100 for the rim with about a 50% tread BFG Long Trail tire mounted and balanced. Since I just throw it in the back when I hit the trail, that was a perfect CHEAP option.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM