Steering noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ar_ken

Reaction score
Hey all,

My truck currently has about 130k KM (81k miles) on it. When I turn my steering wheel at low speeds, I can hear a faint mid-to-high pitch noise. Anyone has this experience? I'm hoping it's only a steering shaft that needs some lubrication...

Thanks for any insight!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the last time you did a p/s flush, when did you last replace your belt?

Last edited:

ar_ken

Reaction score
Mike: I haven't got a P/S flush done since I got the truck, sounds like it might be a good time to do it...

As for the belt, what belt are you referring to?

Another quick question, I take my truck to my buddy (who's a mechanic)'s shop, he uses a 4 point hoist... what suspension setting do you use when the truck is hoisted?

Thanks a lot!

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
land rover has an additive that must be put into the system . makes the seals swell to make that noise go away. its a tsb

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rover does not recommend an additive anywhere in its manuals for power steering. I do add a 1/2 bottle or more of Lucas P/S Stop Leak to a full flush to help keep the valves freed up.

As for the hoist, any mechanic will know how to lift a truck with a full frame.

ar_ken

Reaction score
Sorry for bumping an old thread, just want to give an update to my steering situation.

The dealer told me that there is a slow leak in my P/S system. However she did say that the leak is very slow at the moment and I can just top up the fluids once a while and keep an eye on it. Apparently the solution is a new steering shaft which is a 1,100 dollar job (CDN dollars).

Sorry if I didn't make it clear about putting it on a hoist, I was more wondering about the impact it would have on the air suspenion system? What mode should I put it on before hoisting it up? Or should I just leave it alone?

Thank you very much for the help so far.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink