Steering Wheel Noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have noticed an odd noise coming from the steering wheel. Basically, it's a very slight ruffling noise (almost like a guy rubbing his chin on a waterproof jacket or something). When I have my steering wheel at the regular home position and I turn it to the right, at one particular point (maybe 30 degrees) I hear a very slight swish noise. It does not affect the steering or anything else, it's just almost like something rubbing???

It's hard to describe, but I can definitely hear it with the radio off. Anyone have this happen? I guess I should call the dealership, but wanted to see if this has come up previously. Thanks!!!

-David

My LR4

Reaction score
Rubbing Noise from the Steering Wheel in 2012 LR4

Hello David-

I wish you the best of Luck with your LR4, Because I was facing the same problem with my 2012 LR4, Yes after from trading in my 2011 LR4 with that one, I noticed the wheel drifting to the right then 3 month later I got this noise, to make the story short, the whole steering column with replaced twice and my vehicle been in service for 10 times , please don't take it lightly , I believe that's a major issue, The wheel never straight on the road after 45 days in service, and you will get the best ignorance land rover employee even if you are a loyal customer and you owned few on them like me and others of course , please take it serious because it will effect some other stuff like suspension calibration and other stuff .

Best of Luck,
Sammy

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey David, does the weird noise happen while you're turning the steering wheel, as if it's rubbing against something else? I had this problem and it was a matter of the steering wheel rubbing the column, and after an adjustment to the plastic cover on the back-side of the steering wheel, it was fixed. But it was plastic/rubbing plastic. It wasn't a noise emulating from the steering mechanics/system/plumbing.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey David, does the weird noise happen while you're turning the steering wheel, as if it's rubbing against something else? I had this problem and it was a matter of the steering wheel rubbing the column, and after an adjustment to the plastic cover on the back-side of the steering wheel, it was fixed. But it was plastic/rubbing plastic. It wasn't a noise emulating from the steering mechanics/system/plumbing.
Hey Count,

This was a post I did almost a year ago - but My LR4 must have just read it and responded.

Back when I had the noise it was actually exactly the same thing you had - just needed a quick plastic adjustment and it was fine! :)

I didn't even remember it happened until this post showed up again.

-David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, that's really funny.

My LR4, you've been a long-term LR owner and just decided to join our forum, where you been all this time?

My LR4

Reaction score
Been busy out of Service with my LR4 , instated of making Fun , you should ask what was wrong with mine , may be you had an answer , or at least wish me luck with it .

Thanks.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been busy out of Service with my LR4 , instated of making Fun , you should ask what was wrong with mine , may be you had an answer , or at least wish me luck with it .

Thanks.
Sorry My LR4, did not mean to make it sound like I was making fun of your problem. We were just laughing because I had forgotten all about this post.

45 days of service is crazy! Your problem was quite a bit more severe than the rubbing noise we encountered - very serious.

Is it fixed?

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks.

Wow, I'm sorry that your LR has been out of service for so long.

I had noticed that you joined this forum in March 2011, but never posted anything until now, just curious why you didn't share this earlier. That's all.

What is wrong with your LR4?

My LR4

Reaction score
I was just surprised from your answer, to be honest with you I don't know what's wrong with my car , even the dealer personal couldn't figure it out and they had to contact land rover for that , they claim that they fix it but they didn't, and the whole column was replaced again and since then , it's not the same car , it drifts to the left all the time and the wheel isn't 100% straight , it was grinding noise you can hear it in a low speed or in stop and go traffic , same noise was coming from the brake pedal at the same time , and I don't know how it effected the air suspension and they lost calibration , I'm talking about 10 month old that been in service 10 times , I was searching to see if somebody had the same problem , because its started with minor noise 1st when I got it and I ignored it .

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't the lemon law have kicked-in a long time ago?

You would think by now an LR engineer would have been called in.

It seems odd that a steering issue could affect the brakes. It seems more like they screwed something up when replacing the steering rack.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM