Steering wheel shaking after rotor/pads replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is OK. The lip doesn't matter, it's the thickness of the main swept area of the disc.

With respect to disc thickness, I'm linking my thread from my first brake job two years ago.

Thank you both. I don't think the rear rotors have ever been lathed (turned) so the almost imperceptible lip I can see and feel on them suggests there's plenty of meat left on that bone. Might as well save a few hundred bucks and just slap new pads in there.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using this tool for years, have saved me from buying rotors way too soon as most mechanics, even dealers I took my vehicles too, would just eyeball it. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B006Y1OWKS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . measure in a few places along the diameter and across the rotor by rotating it.
For my LR4 I have been using EBC rotors and pads after the OEMs wore out, 95K miles of city driving and they have been excellent.

51SwRuNu1TL._SX466_.jpg

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for warped rotors, I recommend reading through this first The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System By Stoptech. A racing brakes company I have used for many racing vehicles. It is very easy to mistake brake pad material deposit for warped rotors as it feels the same on the vehicle, but they are very different root causes. If you don't bed the pads correctly, you can be experiencing "warped rotors" for a long time. Takes a lot of heat to warp rotors, I have warped them and even cracked them on long races when not enough cooling gets to the calipers.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

Reaction score
I had the same simptoms with my LR3. Changed brake pads and brake rotors, vibration wasn't gone. Bought new tyres and balanced both the tyres and the rims, didn't help either. Then I changed front lower suspension arms, but small vibration was still there, only after i changed top wishbone suspension arms vibration was gone for good. If you'll do that, I would recommend you to check rear lower and upper wishbone arm bushings as the provably will be dead too. Don't forget to do wheel alignment afterwords.

Taemian

Reaction score
I had the same simptoms with my LR3. Changed brake pads and brake rotors, vibration wasn't gone. Bought new tyres and balanced both the tyres and the rims, didn't help either. Then I changed front lower suspension arms, but small vibration was still there, only after i changed top wishbone suspension arms vibration was gone for good. If you'll do that, I would recommend you to check rear lower and upper wishbone arm bushings as the provably will be dead too. Don't forget to do wheel alignment afterwords.

My 3 got new Brembo rotors and the wobble was still there. The lower control arm bushings were replaced, and still at high speed, the brakes pulsate unless you really hit them hard, like 75 or 80 percent. The calipers seem to move freely when on the bench...how can caliper pins make the caliper bind? They look smooth and clean, and the caliper mounting bracket is always cleaned and some Neversieze (tiny bit) spread on the contact points.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut