Storing Full Size Spare - Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GBRover

Reaction score
I am interested in going off-road on the beach and require a full sized spare to obtain a permit. Does the full sized spare fit where my current "mini" spare is under the cargo area? If the full sized spare does fit, are there any modifications necessary? Has anyone found a good source for reasonably priced wheels for full sized spares? Thanks for your help!

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, a full size spare fits with no issues. I bought mine off Craigslist for $110 for the wheel and used one of my old contis when I bought my cooper zeons.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you tell us about your Cooper Zeon's?

I'm particularly interested in what size you ended up running and whether you see any rubbing under full lock at full articulation (perhaps not an issue if your running stock size).

How much nosier are the Zeon's over the stock tires? Is there a whine at high speeds?

How's the comfort? Do you notice a stiffer side wall?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Cooper Zeon LTZs and a full-size spare and it stows with no problems at all. There are a lot of threads on here about the Coopers and most of us really love them. I have had them for almost a year and they are excellent - great off road and very minimal road noise. I honestly don't notice anything.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No extra parts required, the winch is the same. If you want the full size spare to be monitored by TPMS, you will need to purchase an extra sensor for that wheel (and a diagnostic session at the dealer to turn on spare tire TPMS monitoring. Compact spares are not monitored.)

I run 285/60R18 Zeon LTZ on my Range Rover Sport. They are quiet - nearly as quiet as the stock tires - when they are new. After 5-10K miles though, as the tread wears a bit, they start getting noisy. At 20k miles the whine (more like a hum / rumble actually) definitely becomes noticeable at all speeds. You get used to it, but they do get noisy. Don't know if the 19s or 20s make as much racket as my 18". Other than that, the Coopers are great all-around tires on and off road, the only surfaces they don't like are ice/packed snow (that's true for any non-winter tire) and deep mud.

Rubbing and spare tire fitment under the car start becoming issues for setups with overall diameter of 31.5" and up. As long as you keep them under 32" however, rubbing is minimal even under full compression and steering lock. And you can fit a 31.5" tire in the spare wheel well, as long as you deflate it quite a bit... Bring a good compressor and you'll be fine.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response and sorry for the thread hi-jack. That was really good info and I appreciate it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72