Strange Acceleration Issue - Torque Converter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While traveling on the highway a few weeks back I noticed a strange thing concerning acceleration with my LR3, I was going somewhere around 65-70mph in drive & VERY SLOWLY squeezed the throttle on, the initial result was acceleration but that was followed by what I would describe as an additional restriction on the acceleration. With more throttle, the transmission shifts down, and acceleration continues normally.

Anyone have any experience with multiple carburetors? You could relate the "added resistance" feeling to carbs being out of sync and working against each other.

After I exited the highway, I experimented a bit in sport mode so I could isolate gears and see if there was any change... 1st gear I didn't notice it - could be attributed to the mechanical advantage masking the issue. 2nd - 6th gear the "restriction" was present.

It's a very slight occurrence, I drove the vehicle several thousand miles with out noticing it.

Any one else have this issue? I know the dealer is going to be dismissive about this issue... its tough to feel. I'd like to have some back up data if possible!

Thanks.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What octane fuel are you using? A lower octane fuel can contribute to the symtom you have described. Also, higher ethanol content may also be a factor. Did you fill with something different recently? Could be related.

Just to confirm, what vehicle are you driving? You posted in the LR3 forum, but LR3 does not have carburetors.

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting info about the fuel. I've been using 89, Ill switch to 91 and see if there is a change. So, I assume the computer retards the timing during periods of greater load on the engine, and if the fuel is not the proper octane, it would pull timing to keep from pinging?

Sorry about the confusing carb comment... it was an attempt to relay the symptom I'm experiencing. The vehicle is a 2005 LR3 HSE.

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update

I switched to 91 & the problem seems to have gone away... not 100% but enough to tell me the fuel was definitely the cause!

Thank you JackMac!

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the sticker in the gas door that says Premium Fuel Only is there for a reason. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tommithy, thanks for that bit of helpful information.

FYI, my fuel door sticker uses the term "recommended".

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
odd, mine says "premium fuel totally unnecessary"

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue a few years back when my LR3 had about 30k on it. I remember taking it to the dealer and them saying it was the computer adjusting to the new ethanol fuel mixture. It was really annoying for a few weeks, but it eventually stopped all together. If it doesn't go away completely in a few weeks, then I'd suggest taking it back to the dealer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99