Suspension fault, not hearing the compressor turn on, jumper the relay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gnomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2008 LR3 4.4 has recently displayed a suspension fault, normal height only, yellow DSC symbol. Right now it's gone down on the bump stops and the compressor isn't turning on, the dealer told us it was replaced not long before we bought it. I don't have a reader for the EAS system but am wondering if, as part of the trouble shooting process, if I could jumper the compressor at the relay block to see if it actually functions to eliminate it (or not) as the problem.

And it occurs to me later, what should the current draw be? My meter is good to 10 amps.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the compressor isn't turning on then 99% it's the problem. That other 1% is if your suspension is so out of whack that your compressor won't actuate.

Gnomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did find the problem, there was a melted connector in the pigtail between the vehicle harness and compressor motor. To me the connector on the motor side looks underspec for a 20+ amp load, those pins are really small. I cleaned the connector and used some DeOxit contact grease on it.

What I found interesting (?) is the difference in resistance between the actual motor connector pins , 0.4 ohms, and t he resistance at the relay, 0.8 ohms. That may not seem like a big number but represents a substantial loss at a high amp load.

So the compressor is working for now, but I don't think it is a long term permanent solution. I think I will need a new pigtail for the compressor eventually.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Relay replaced?

In theory the compressor relay in the engine compartment fuse box, (at least on an LR3), should have been replaced when the new compressor was installed.

You might consider replacing the relay anyway given that system has been beat up a bit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72