Swirl Marks - The Cure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2012 LR4 with the Buckingham Blue paint. After driving it around for a week or so I began to notice some pretty severe swirl marks. Considering the vehicle is in otherwise mint condition the culprit was likely heavy usage of an automatic car wash that used some type of brush system.

My first option was to use a buffer and a decent quality swirl remover. Keep in mind this method is designed to remove clear coat so that the swirls become level with the rest of the clear coat, so in essence you are bringing the clear coat down to the level of the deepest swirls. I had my buddy use a device to measure the clear coat thickness and we quickly determined the clear coat was just too thin to handle that type of procedure as was my wallet as the cost would have been north of $350.00. So this left me with one option, the marks need to be hidden or otherwise filled in.

Thus began a four step process which I must admit yielded great results and cost me under $100.00.

What you need and steps to take.

Step 1.
clean bucket
microfiber car sponge
dawn dish washing detergent
black trim protectant - Armour all or similar product
1 cold beer

Wash and rinse well two times. Towel dry and pull into the garage. The dawn helps remove some road grime, grease and old was residue. Apply a coat of trim protectant to all black plastic surfaces. This will ensure easy clean up of spilled or misapplied wax. Drink cold beer

Step 2.
Microfiber wax applicator pads
Wolfgang Polish enhancer or other quality paint cleaner/was remover
Microfiber towels
1 can cold beer

This step will ensure that you remove any residual wax and dirt. When applying this product keep in mind you are only using enough hand pressure to apply the product. One you apply to the entire vehicle, go back to where you started and use the microfiber towel too remove the product. Again just apply enough pressure to remove the product. If you are sweating up a storm than you are applying too much pressure, this goes for application and removal. Stubborn spots may require additional attention. When done drink cold beer.

Tip: fold the microfiber towel into quarters. Once a section feels a little wet and tacky turn to a clean section. Once you have removed the product go back over the entire car with a clean towel to remove whatever you missed. Also, more is not better, let the chemicals do the work.

Step 3.
Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant
Microfiber applicator pads
Microfiber towels
1 can cold beer

Follow the same procedures as Step 2. The goal here is to provide a nice protective sealant on your clear coat. Again apply sparingly and don't press down too hard. The goal here is to apply a nice even coat. When you remove this particular product you will notice it come off easily and does not leave any powder like some old waxes.

Tip:Always go back over your work with a clean microfiber towel, this ensures you remove all of the product. Keep in mind you are still seeing some of the deeper swirl marks.
The product needs to rest overnight and form a nice bond to the surface so enjoy a nice cold beverage and then go find some trouble to get into.

Step 4 Day 2. Most important

Caranuba wax I use Meguires Gold Class Caranuba Plus
Microfiber applicator pad
microfiber wax applicator
2 cold beers

Apply this product and remove it the same as step 3. This is a great product because it also does not leave allot of powdery residue. This is the step where you start to fill in and hide all of the swirl marks. Generally one coat will work but you may have to apply twice. Drink first cold beer when done.

Drink second cold beer while you walk around the car admiring your handy work. This is also a good time to turn on your wife filter as she will likely be heckling you for acting like a nut job about the car.

I would encourage you to do this even if you do not have swirl marks, this is a great way to start off on the right track with a new car and really keep that paint looking showroom new for years to come. Caranuba wax needs to be applied quarterly. The paint sealant will last about 6 months. Twice a year do all 4 steps.

I waxed cars in college to make extra cash so I had the pleasure of experimenting on other peoples cars as I honed my skills. There are many ways to skin a cat but this procedure does work especially for modern cars with clear coats.

Cheers

Matt

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info Matt, thank you for posting it. That is why I never take our cars through automatic car washes. Of course other things such as road salt and sand, hand washing or a snow brush will also scratch the clear coat over time.

One more thing I learned from owning many black Audis - wash and wax in a straight line (front to back) not a circular motion.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thread is worthless without pictures.

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend you read some autogeek and learn about clay bar and such. If you really want to prep the surface, you need to clay.

Even then, sealant and carnuba can only hide imperfections if it is full of fillers and junk that wont improve the finish really, just masks it.

Unless the clear has already been taken down to extremely low levels by someone with a rotary, you should be able to use a light DA polisher and improve the swirls a lot without taking a lot off.

Matt

Reaction score
I would recommend you read some autogeek and learn about clay bar and such. If you really want to prep the surface, you need to clay.

Even then, sealant and carnuba can only hide imperfections if it is full of fillers and junk that wont improve the finish really, just masks it.

Unless the clear has already been taken down to extremely low levels by someone with a rotary, you should be able to use a light DA polisher and improve the swirls a lot without taking a lot off.

I am familiar with clay bars. I have used them on a few cars in the past, however this is not a thread about using clay bars.

As mentioned I had my buddy come over who has a PTD and we took several readings and determined that since some spots were around 1Mil and even .5-.8 It just was not worth using the polisher because there would have likely been some swirls left. I do have a polisher, but again not everybody has one so again not a thread about using a polisher.

Lastly I believe I mentioned that the swirl marks using this procedure are being filled in and hidden not removed. Not a thread about removing swirl marks.

I see you have a vast knowledge of these procedures (auto geek) so I am sure everybody would be thrilled if you did a few write ups on how to use some of the products you mentioned.

Make sure you post lots of pics for some of the members here that attended the "Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good and Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too"…. Of course we don't wan't to call any body out here because we are all winners and get a ribbon even that guy who wants to see pictures in this worthless thread " epiclr4".

Matt

Reaction score
Thread is worthless without pictures.

Keep practicing your reading little buddy, one day it will all come together and you can put down those **** and Jane books forever !!

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep practicing your reading little buddy, one day it will all come together and you can put down those **** and Jane books forever !!

Huh:stupid:
Just want to see results man! Wasn't a put-down.. I dont read books without pictures:eek:

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on the cold beer at every step! Beer and music are a must!

Matt

Reaction score
Huh:stupid:
Just want to see results man! Wasn't a put-down.. I dont read books without pictures:eek:

It is sunny out this weekend so if I wash the truck I will snap a few pics. I picked up some LR sill guards for my wifes LR so I was gonna post some before and after shots of those as well.

Glad I am not the only one who can't work outside without beer !

Last edited:

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is sunny out this weekend so if I wash the truck I will snap a few pics. I picked up some LR sill guards for my wifes LR so I was gonna post some before and after shots of those as well.

Glad I am not the only one who can't work outside without beer !

Awesome man, looking forward to the pics. I have to make time for a good wax/polishing session soon.

I'll be out re-mulching the front yard later on with some cold Yuengling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72