Tailgate weight rating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! What part of the tailgate seems to be bending? If the static load rating is on the order of 500lbs., I wouldn't expect a couple hundred pounds of mildly dynamic loading to matter.
It’s actually the body where the hinge mounts. The top of the hinge mount tips back which then lowers the tailgate when it’s closed, if that makes sense. When it’s off it’s an act of timing a two handed tug when you hit the switch to open it. To fix it I open the gate and place a 2x4 between the bumper and gate at the hinge and pry up. This definitely works better on the 3 with its textured plastic rather than the painted trim of the 4!

44DF152B-3CD5-4A47-9A70-33CC0B9ACB2A.jpeg

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused by the bracket bending. The load is taken by the two cables. Has something loosened up or the anchors been bent out of shape? Have the cables stretched?

The loading conditions are such that that bracket should be seeing minimal shear or bending loads.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused by the bracket bending. The load is taken by the two cables. Has something loosened up or the anchors been bent out of shape? Have the cables stretched?

The loading conditions are such that that bracket should be seeing minimal shear or bending loads.
The cables may take the bulk of the load, but not the complete load. Especially if the weight is inside of the cables, like it was in my case, right on the hinges. It’s not the hinges that bent, it’s the actual body causing the hinge to tip down ever so slightly. Given the length of the hinge from the body to the pivot it doesn’t take much movement to wreck the alignment of the pins and latches of the tailgate causing hard opening. It took me awhile to figure out what was happening, but that was it. A little leverage under the hinges tipping them back up and it opens and closes great.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72