Talk me out of even considering a Nissan Armada

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So we're moving to a town with a drive-on beach soon. The original plan was to get a used disco or LR3 to give us beach access. The wife decides she doesn't want the "clutter" of 3 vehicles with a 2-car garage and we should trade her Audi Q7 for something that is better offroad. So now a new LR3 is at the top of our list of potential vehicles but we wanted to check out the V8 Pathfinder. Seating space was tight and the interior cheap. BUT - we spot the 2008 Armada with smoother sheet metal and an all new interior. Sticker is $52,000 and includes every option imaginable, including DVD player, rear camera, keyless ignition, power liftgate, Nav, front & rear sonar, XM, and the list goes on and on. The only item I can find missing are xenons which must be reserved for the Infiniti version. Then I'm told the sell price is $8000 to $10,000 off sticker due to available incentives. This vehicle does handle pretty well for a big vehicle. After owning many Honda Accords I bought a '96 A4 and told myself that I was done with Japanese vehicles. (Even those built in TN) I have only purchased Audis ever since. I know European cars have some reliability issues and I accept that trade off for how they perform. I know the LR3 will meet our needs perfectly. Should I even consider the giant Nissan with the attractive price tag? (I wish Land Rover was ready to throw out some "marketing support" incentives but I doubt they will if Ford is trying to sell them)

Last edited:

geoaustin

Reaction score
I've driven the Infinity version of that vehicle and thought it drove horribly, but just my opinion. The LR3 is a very nice ride in all conditions and I honestly think it drives even better when the weather turns to $hit. If you can wait a month or so, you may start seeing some of the 2007 models go on sale. I bought my 2006 this past March with $8000 off because it was one of the last 2006 on the lot. Absolutely love it. Anyway, good luck on your selection.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why don't you like Japanese vehicles? I drove a Mitsubishi Montero for 8 years and I loved it.

Any idea how the Armada will perform on your beach? Does it have low range? A locking diff somewhere? What are your capability requirements for this vehicle?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm_WA, I guess I got tired of Japanese vehicles (Accords) when they became so popular and turned into transportation appliances. My current vehicle is one of 89 A4 avants imported in 2006 with a V6 and a 6-speed manual. As for the Armada, yes it has low range and a locking center diff so it will do fine offroad. I'm more concerned about living with it onroad and parking such a big vehicle.

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive them both and decide if the added cost is worth it. It was for me.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good suggestion, dropper....but I think there's more. I think that both rigs Paul is considering will accomplish the main task of driving on the beach with relative ease. So, beyond that, I think he has to consider what other things are important to him. Is it reliability? Style? Fuel economy?

My opinion is that the LR3 beats its competition in its ability to perform off-road and provide comfort on the road as well. More capable 4x4s are generally less comfortable on the pavement, and more comfortable SUVs are generally less capable off-road.

The LR3 is not going to be as reliable as the Armada. Others will be contentious about my statement; but I stand by it. I love my '05 HSE, but it has given me a few little fits. That doesn't make me less happy with the vehicle; but if you (Paul) have less tolerance for these little bugaboos, then you may want to lean towards the Armada.

So here is a summary:

Beach driving: Push
Off-road capability: LR3
Reliability: Armada
Fuel Economoy: Push
Style: Subjective
Comfort: Push

Paul, I understand what you're saying about Japanese cars; I just wanted a little clarification. I test drove a Lexus GX470 before I bought the Rover and while it was nice, I just thought it was...well, boring.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went and drove both again back to back. If I were blind folded, I'd say they were very similar vehicles. Armada has a louder exhaust note which makes it feel faster. LR3 is more refined. "Upon further review", the Armada is just too big for our needs. With 2 kids and a dog, an LR3 with a roof rack will work just fine. I can live with less than perfect reliability if I enjoy driving the vehicle. All of my Audis have had a few problems but I love the way they drive. I'm sure the LR3 will be the same. Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

Last edited:

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on making your choice!

Good point, Houm... I should have mentioned that I meant 'cost' in a pragmatic sense.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In terms of reliability, I remember reading from various sources that the Armada/QX56/Titan were at the bottom of the heap. I believe they are even ranked lower by CR than Land Rover's-god forbid.

xconcepts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two words

Customer Service......Sucks ass....absolutely HORRIBLE, I will never buy a Nissan again, Infinity is a different story...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635