Thoughts on 08' BMW X5 4.8i?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wyrover

Reaction score
We have a 07' LR3 HSE and we're thinking of buying another vehicle to replace it with. I have been looking at BMW X5's online. I've been looking at the 4.8 V8's. Does anyone have any personal experience with these vehicles? It would be used for day to day driving so I'm not worried about off road performance. How does it compare to a LR3 in that respect? I would have to drive about 250 miles to see one as there are none around where I live so I'm trying to find out as much as I can before I decide to go that route if at all.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apples and oranges. One is a body-on-frame 4x4 and the other is a sporty cross-over. If you don't off-road the X5 might be a good fit for your needs.

R Hermann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:) That's a can of worms question. Like any motor, some folks have problems and some don't. The good thing is that motor, or variants, have been in use since 2001 and BMW continued to use it through 2010 model year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N62#N62B48
The newer motor has had some issues but it seems BMW has taken ownership of it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N63

A quick note in favor of BMW- I really appreciate their integrity when problems arise. They replaced all 6 of the injectors in our 2010 X6 3.5 out of warranty and at no cost to me. The only repair I have had to make to that motor, aside from a faulty injector, was to replace the water pump and thermostat at ~70,000 miles. Some of the rubberized coating on the interior bits is peeling and that is annoying. One of the fluid lines running to the headlight washer recently started leaking at the connection to the washer, not sure what I will need to replace to fix it. Aside from that, the vehicle has been fantastic and still seems like new.

Contrast that with our 2011 Explorer LTD with 80,000 miles which has been in the shop more times than I can remember, recently replaced air compressor, corroded A/C line, clogged piece in the PVC system, blower door motor, broken auto trans line at valve body (how???), peeling hood paint, interior vinyl splitting, etc...

Despite not having a backup camera, etc., I really like the X6 and we plan to keep it for along time, it is just a great vehicle for us. Bonus is that people still think it is a brand new car- my wife has been asked about her "new" car twice this Summer.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... I honestly love my 2008 BMW 535xi wagon but it’s a 6spd and twin turbo in-line 6 so while it weighs about the same and actually has almost as much space inside, it’s way more fun to drive.

Mine has the “20 way comfort seats” which are vastly more comfortable and adjustable to different body types or preferences than the otherwise nice standard seats.

It also has the HUD and most options from that era. I’ve driven it over 100,000 miles and still enjoy road trips very much in it.

However, if I had to chose between X5 vs LR3, it would be very easy to stick with the LR3 for several reasons that don’t even require off road capabilities. The practicality is far broader.

Rover 4

Reaction score
Loved my 2008 X5 4.8. Had the sport package with 20" wheels. If you are looking at this model, you're only going to get 8-10k on the tires. I'll probably get a bunch of "its how you drive" responses, but plan on it. Engine is strong and its a true pleasure to drive. LR3 or LR4 is a completely different driving experience. For pure driving go BMW, if you also need to haul stuff, and want a bit more plush ride, go LR. I have and love them both.

Current: 2013 X5
Current: 2013 LR4
Current: 2004 DII
Previous: 2008 X5 4.8, 2005 X5, 2013 X6,

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loved my 2008 X5 4.8. Had the sport package with 20" wheels. If you are looking at this model, you're only going to get 8-10k on the tires. I'll probably get a bunch of "its how you drive" responses, but plan on it. Engine is strong and its a true pleasure to drive. LR3 or LR4 is a completely different driving experience. For pure driving go BMW, if you also need to haul stuff, and want a bit more plush ride, go LR. I have and love them both.

Current: 2013 X5
Current: 2013 LR4
Current: 2004 DII
Previous: 2008 X5 4.8, 2005 X5, 2013 X6,

Yeah the BMW rear camber is the reason IMO. Both my bmw wagons would wear the rear inside edge beyond safe margin while the rest of the tire was still at 50% at least. So I started going with directional but symmetrical tires so that I can have them flipped every 10-15k (for high mileage models that should get 60-80k).

This isn't as annoying as it sounds because it's not as often as one might expect because I also switch the wheelsets for winter to summer (whole complete sets of 5 for easy/quick DIY) and also split mileage between 3 vehicles. This means I actually start to worry a that I might not wear out the tires before the ideal time period of 10 yrs.

Rover 4

Reaction score
Ditto with winter tires, then moved to FL, solved that problem. Yes, the camber issue is ******* the rears. Never found a decent run flat for the BMW, and i had the same inner rear wear issue you experienced. The X5 has a surprising amount of room, if you fold down the seats. Not near what the LR4 will have, but quite a bit. My X5 also had the 3rd row seating, which i wouldn't wish on anyone over 4' tall, but with small kids it would work. No spare on the BMW, so if You (WYROVER) are in Wyoming, that may be an issue, depending on how far out you live. After the LR3, you'll get into the X5, hit the gas, find some twisty road and won't stop smiling. Honestly, 130 plus mph, and you can rest your hand on the wheel, the car just squats down and glues to the road. If you get the V8, get the sport package, and adaptive suspension.

wyrover

Reaction score
Ditto with winter tires, then moved to FL, solved that problem. Yes, the camber issue is ******* the rears. Never found a decent run flat for the BMW, and i had the same inner rear wear issue you experienced. The X5 has a surprising amount of room, if you fold down the seats. Not near what the LR4 will have, but quite a bit. My X5 also had the 3rd row seating, which i wouldn't wish on anyone over 4' tall, but with small kids it would work. No spare on the BMW, so if You (WYROVER) are in Wyoming, that may be an issue, depending on how far out you live. After the LR3, you'll get into the X5, hit the gas, find some twisty road and won't stop smiling. Honestly, 130 plus mph, and you can rest your hand on the wheel, the car just squats down and glues to the road. If you get the V8, get the sport package, and adaptive suspension.
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to keep my LR3. I guess if I need to get out and drive more sporty or quick I'll take the wife's supercharged 2012 RRS. If my LR3 had that engine it would be great!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM