Thoughts on 2016 LR4 HSE Lux (Landmark) purchase?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question - I noticed that the driver side front seemed slightly higher than the passenger side. So I measured the wheel gap for each of the different ride settings and sure enough there is about a quarter inch difference between driver side and passenger side. No difference with the rear wheels.

Is this unusual? A sign of a potential serious issue or just in need of a calibration or something? I’ll have the dealer check it out - now just paranoid it is related to the minor accident the vehicle was involved in - but hopefully not and just a one time warranty fix. But any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Is the ground completely flat?

DavidSG

Reaction score
Yeah for the most part. I initially did measurements in my driveway which is pretty flat but then drove to a parking lot as well and same result - actually closer to a half inch difference in normal mode and a quarter inch in access mode.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old LR3 did this. I had to have a mechanic re-calibrate the ride height settings. Do you have any sensor errors or on the nav in off road mode is the system showing each wheel at proper height and not moving (up and down)?

DavidSG

Reaction score
No sensor errors that I can see and the mechanic didn’t mention any error codes with the suspension but I’ll have them check for that specifically. Haven’t tried driving it in off road mode - I’ll try that. Thanks.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if an airbag has been replaced at some point and it was miss calibrated. Or maybe a sensor got moved up or down.

You can reprogram it with the IID Tool, which is almost a must-own for an LR4 owner.

I'd think long and hard about that Carmax warranty. It covers everything, unless they've really changed the wording on it. At the very least, you can expect the lower control arm bushings will need to be done at around 70k miles. That's around an $1,800 job at the dealer by itself.

That said, I bought my CPO 2012 with 40k miles on it back in January 2016, and I don't think I've put $4,500 worth of work into since then.

DavidSG

Reaction score
No mention of any airbag replacement or suspension fixes in the service history I found (I had the dealership who performed the service on this truck send me the records). Would have been a warranty repair so doubt the PO would have gone anywhere else.

So with an IID tool you can adjust / recalibrate individual wheel suspension settings? That’s good to know. In any event - I’m taking the overly cautious approach here - having an independent shop take a look at it tomorrow as I didn’t get a great vibe from the dealership I took it to last week that they actually did a thorough inspection on this vehicle.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes - fender to top of rim.
Ok - I'm no pro in terms of this but my 2013 has always looked like it has a tiny lean when parked...I don't know what the computer does to level after parking but mine does some little 'hiss' and sort of levels/lowers after the doors are all closed. Is it still messed up when it's idling or only when it's parked?

DavidSG

Reaction score
Ok - I'm no pro in terms of this but my 2013 has always looked like it has a tiny lean when parked...I don't know what the computer does to level after parking but mine does some little 'hiss' and sort of levels/lowers after the doors are all closed. Is it still messed up when it's idling or only when it's parked?

Haven't measured while idling - I'll check that out. Maybe in my head now, but also seems off while driving. In any event, it's at the indy shop now getting checked. I'll report back what they say.

Edit - I think you hit the nail on the head - I should have been measuring when idling and not with the engine off (the shop said everything looked fine when idling). They did point out that the car has a non OEM spec battery (a little too small and non AGM). Maybe CarMax will take care of that as part of its 30 day warranty, but not holding my breath.

In any event, thanks for all the feedback. Now just need to sort out that front radar sensor issue - have a feeling CarMax drilled the bumper in the wrong spot but we'll see.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi