Timing chain on 2011 LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are actually in the process now of doing a complete install and overview video of the Timing Chain Kit install on a 2011 Range Rover Full Size vehicle with our master technician. Video should be ready for viewing sometime late next week.

The LR4 uses the same timing chain kit and tools, so process will be very similar. This is the Kit and this is the Tool Set needed.

The video will include the replacement of the water pump as well as some other ancillary parts that are usually ready for replacement as well when the timing chain is and that you want to replace when everything is taken down and disassembled.

As others have stated, it's a bear of a job and not something we are recommending for the DIY'er, but the video should give those contemplating it the info they need to decide if they want to do it.

I will advise here once the video is up and posted.

Cheers!
You AtlanticBrits are awesome. Thanks for everything!

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not had to look into doing this job, but that video makes sense to the extent that you are not replacing the chains.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I have not had to look into doing this job, but that video makes sense to the extent that you are not replacing the chains

Agreed, there's lots of assumptions going on here like timing didn't jump, chains didn't stretch, guides aren't worn, and a slew of other assumptions.

After pulling mine completely apart, way more than I had to, I noticed my newly replaced (5months) thermostat had a slow drip, injector nozzles completely carbonized, sand in every port possible, oil in my intake manifold, worn belts, etc... After this, its like a minor overhaul that's taking 3 weeks to complete. In actuality, I've only been putting a couple hours here and there and then getting 2 solid 6 hour days in. Mind you, there's no guide and I'm doing this with the workshop guide that's semi-useless on actually removing a part.

atlanticbritish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

The newly-completed timing chain install video for late model 5.0L & 3.0L Rover vehicles is now posted and live.

You will find it at this link:

Replacing the Timing Chain On a Range Rover Sport and Late Model 5.0L and 3.0L Land Rovers and Range Rovers

Sorry for the delay but we were waiting on some required shop tools to arrive that had been backordered by the manufacturer...

Anyways, we have them now and finished the job.

As has been discussed here and other threads, it’s a very involved job. We are not recommending this for most DIY’ers, as it requires specialty shop tools and a high level of automotive technical skill/knowledge. The video is just over 1 hour in length and our master Rover tech, Gareth, covers the complete front engine strip-down as part of the process.

The video page displays the various specialty shop tools needed for the job as well as some wear parts that should be replaced as part of the front engine strip down (and are replaced in the video). Namely the water pump, thermostat and 4 camshaft sprockets as well as some fuel injector refit tools and re-seal items.

View at your leisure and you will get a very good perspective on what's all involved!

Thx.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV