Timing Chain repair costs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GSXR - The LR4 is a 3rd vehicle for me and not my daily anymore. For trail runs/camping trips, it depends on what type of terrain we go on, that determines whether I take the LR4 or not. I have it just slightly modified for my purposes (dual battery setup, power for fridge, AT tires, fully armored underneath, GAP tool for lift only on trail). I like the truck very much but every so often miss my g-wagen.

Hmmm. I often think a G500 would be my next vehicle, but then sometimes I think I'll keep my LR4 till the wheels fall off. Any input on which one you like better?

One thing I really like about the G is its ability to retain value, a feature I enjoy in the things I spend a lot of money on (house, watches, old stereo equipment, etc.) The LR4, obviously, does not have that trait.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I often think a G500 would be my next vehicle, but then sometimes I think I'll keep my LR4 till the wheels fall off. Any input on which one you like better?

One thing I really like about the G is its ability to retain value, a feature I enjoy in the things I spend a lot of money on (house, watches, old stereo equipment, etc.) The LR4, obviously, does not have that trait.

I can send you a private message with my thoughts. I've owned 3 (diesel SWB grey market, US spec '02 and '05) and used to be very active in the G community. I don't want to clutter this thread with too many side conversations that others may not appreciate.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to clutter this thread with too many side conversations that others may not appreciate.

I think most LR4 and Landie owners appreciate G Wagons and have thought that they would make a great addition to their garages. If they don't, then they don't have to read what you write;)

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can send you a private message with my thoughts. I've owned 3 (diesel SWB grey market, US spec '02 and '05) and used to be very active in the G community. I don't want to clutter this thread with too many side conversations that others may not appreciate.

Feel free to PM me, but, like jpjp said, I think others would be interested, and the threads here sometimes wonder a post or five regardless and people are ok with it.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, here goes...

The G has a special place in my heart. As a young man in the late 80's when they were only available in the grey market, I saw one driving on the highway into NYC at a time when I wanted a Jeep. I just loved everything about. Probably the same way some love the Defender. In 2002 when I had an Mercedes ML, I met up with a group of Gwagen aficionados who introduced me to the gentlemen who was responsible for the Gwagen project early on. We went on a camping trip into Death Valley. At that time, I swore I would own a G. A few years later I purchased a 1985 SWB diesel. With 88hp it was borderline dangerous on the highway. Semi-trucks would pass me on inclines. I had 6.17 gears and 35 inch tires. The truck had no AC and I loved it for a time but decided I wanted the 4 door version with more power. A little while later I purchased a 2002. These had some early electrical gremlins and mine was no different but I still loved the truck. Eventually I upgraded to an '05. I sold the '05 to fund the purchase of the brand new LR4.

The LR4 is like a modern car compared to the 463 (internal code for my generation G wagen). The ride is night and day better in the LR4 from a comfort standpoint. The steering is much lighter. The interior feels roomier from a width perspective. You have proper cup holders. The rear seats fold completely flat (in case you want to sleep inside while camping) and you have 3rd row seating. One of the reasons why I switched to the LR4 was because we just had twin girls and when I drove them in the G, they're heads would literally vibrate on the highway while they slept. The LR4 engine and truck overall feels quicker off the line and passing on the highway. The G by comparison will feel sluggish. For an everyday car, I could see why people would prefer the LR4. I did... :)

You can do some research on what the G achilles heels are, for me, aside from the window regulators, paint chipping off the mirrors, a relay for the TC. Everything else was pretty bullet proof. If you're thinking about buying a G with over 100K miles assume you'll need to change out the bearings on the front axle. Back in the day an independent shop would charge about $2k if I'm not mistaken but it is a job someone handy can do on their own. Lots of guys have done it themselves. The engine tends to seep some oil in the back of the block but they can usually run like that for years.

What else would you like to know??

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, here goes...

The G has a special place in my heart. As a young man in the late 80's when they were only available in the grey market, I saw one driving on the highway into NYC at a time when I wanted a Jeep. I just loved everything about. Probably the same way some love the Defender. In 2002 when I had an Mercedes ML, I met up with a group of Gwagen aficionados who introduced me to the gentlemen who was responsible for the Gwagen project early on. We went on a camping trip into Death Valley. At that time, I swore I would own a G. A few years later I purchased a 1985 SWB diesel. With 88hp it was borderline dangerous on the highway. Semi-trucks would pass me on inclines. I had 6.17 gears and 35 inch tires. The truck had no AC and I loved it for a time but decided I wanted the 4 door version with more power. A little while later I purchased a 2002. These had some early electrical gremlins and mine was no different but I still loved the truck. Eventually I upgraded to an '05. I sold the '05 to fund the purchase of the brand new LR4.

The LR4 is like a modern car compared to the 463 (internal code for my generation G wagen). The ride is night and day better in the LR4 from a comfort standpoint. The steering is much lighter. The interior feels roomier from a width perspective. You have proper cup holders. The rear seats fold completely flat (in case you want to sleep inside while camping) and you have 3rd row seating. One of the reasons why I switched to the LR4 was because we just had twin girls and when I drove them in the G, they're heads would literally vibrate on the highway while they slept. The LR4 engine and truck overall feels quicker off the line and passing on the highway. The G by comparison will feel sluggish. For an everyday car, I could see why people would prefer the LR4. I did... :)

You can do some research on what the G achilles heels are, for me, aside from the window regulators, paint chipping off the mirrors, a relay for the TC. Everything else was pretty bullet proof. If you're thinking about buying a G with over 100K miles assume you'll need to change out the bearings on the front axle. Back in the day an independent shop would charge about $2k if I'm not mistaken but it is a job someone handy can do on their own. Lots of guys have done it themselves. The engine tends to seep some oil in the back of the block but they can usually run like that for years.

What else would you like to know??

I've driven an 02 and an 08 G500. it is a little more cramped inside, and they ride a little rougher with the solid axles (actually, they ride a lot like my old JK unlimited did). I've read about the electrical issues in the 02's and '03's, so I know to stay away from them. I've read about window regulators and the transfer case issue. I've also read about the wheel bearings--that job looks a lot similar to the birfield rebuild I did on my old 80 series Land Cruiser.

My ideal 500 would be a Europa model. I like they interior in those better than the mid-2000's ones, but I've read they have some unique issues of their own.

Really, the main thing that's holding me back at this point is their height. The parking garage at my work is only 6'4", and there's quite a few others around that are similar height. I'd need to figure out another option there. That, and I need to have a garage built at my home so I can be better prepared to DIY some of the things on the G.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
spoke to a dad at my kids soccer game - they have 2 2010 LR4s, each with 175k miles. hasnt had to do a timing chain on either but said the water pump every couple years is driving him crazy on both cars.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for follow up on my post before. I don't have any additional insight into why my 2013 (and others) seem to share part numbers with effected vehicles, yet are outside the tsb range.

That information came from the land rover parts database, Microcat which is software that runs on windows and gives you diagrams and vin ranges for each part number.

My 2013 has about 64k miles now and I haven't had any issues or noises, so I will just continue to hope that it is ok.

Dan Chapin

Reaction score
Just got mine back. No longer sounds like a diesel! Sounds great actually.

Attached are photos of the wear spots on the back of the arms. Those holes are deep...maybe an eighth of an inch. The part would have been flush originally.

All that aluminum is either in the pan or the filter hopefully. I know we would get flecks in the filter.

Tech showed me how both of the tensioners had failed. The tensioners expand and a ratchet mechanism is supposed to prevent them from retracting. Both tensioners would collapse with finger pressure.

Had in case that had a cracked off ear so that had to be replaced. Oil change and an inspection. $3400 out the door.

If you are anywhere near Richmond va I would recommend David Word automotive.

aeb124a7811c62e0ebe8a6de6d30cd16.jpg
19db4ab4433b7dfa1a9ea33e1d248195.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM