Tire Match F/R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dc_v01

Reaction score
Is the LR4 one of the vehicles you need to be very picky about replacing all four tires at once? Just killed a sidewall in one (WRG3 SUV, my fault, not tires). I'll normally replace a pair at a time, these only have a little under 20,000 miles on them, so I don't want to do the other pair if not necessary.

dc_v01

Reaction score
So it looks like the rears were at 8/32" and the fronts 7/32". The rear is one that's bad. Nokian has changed to a newer model, but it looks like I can still get the older ones online. Looks like the new treads are 12/32", maybe 11/32". Too big a difference to just get two?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it looks like the rears were at 8/32" and the fronts 7/32". The rear is one that's bad. Nokian has changed to a newer model, but it looks like I can still get the older ones online. Looks like the new treads are 12/32", maybe 11/32". Too big a difference to just get two?

I'm sorry I can't quote a source, but I'm pretty sure that I was told that until you get to a tread depth difference of 3/32" or more, the transmission would tolerate it. That puts your situation into worrisome territory. I had a similar situation but my tires were much newer so I was able to throw a new tire into the mix.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say that is pushing it for sure. That is why I rotate the full size spare into the mix. Don't want a new tire replacing very worn ones.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM