Towing an Airstream - problems with LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

X

xray

Someone just posted a message on the Airstream Forums (http://www.airstreamforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=161795&postcount=1) regarding problems towing a 25' Airstream.

Quote, "She saw an LR3 Land Rover liked it and asked LR dealer about towing the Airstream. They said it was perfect for the job. Cut a long story short she has had 2 total failures of the LR hitch just popping out of its receptacle. Luckily both incidents were very low speed as the hitch piece that came out of the receptacle had safety brake wire and chains attached to it. The story would be frightening if it had happened at highway speeds. The 2nd incident happened last Friday in west Texas."

Anyway, does anyone have any experience towing travel trailers, using a weight distribution hitch, appropriate brake controllers, etc. and the LR3?

N

Nomad

Oh my god! I know sometimes the hitch can be tricky to lock into place but it should never ever fall out. Did they confirm any stripped peices?

T

toddjb123

Please keep us updated.

Only thing I can think is she didn't have the hitch locked in place. It can be tricky to get in and out. If there was a failure of the system I *definitely* want to know about it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM