Towing - Who has towed what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strikerflo

Reaction score
I ask because I'm hoping that my LR3 could serve as a decent tow rig, and I just wanted to get others' opinions and experiences.

I've come across a few experiences via some searching I've done on this site, but I just wanted to get a better idea.

Additionally, does anyone feel as though I may have some issues with towing a race car?

Weights:
Car weight - less than 2700lbs
Trailer weight - open trailer - apprx 1200-1700lbs.

or

Small, enclosed trailer - apprx 2800-3600lbs.

Max weight would be about 6300lbs, but more than likely it'll be much lighter than that.

Will that pose any issues?

Thanks guys!!!

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've towed a U-Haul (open trailer) with a Christmas tree in it :biggrin: I realize that isn't much (couldn't have weighed more than 1500lbs total), but it towed like it wasn't even there over 50 miles round trip. One thing that might be helpful is it had LED tail lights and they worked perfect (I've heard some issues with LED tail lights, but these worked fine).

In regards to towing a trailer with a race car, you'll be fine, but you'll definitely want to install the brake controller if you get much above 3500lbs total. It is a simple install from what I've read (uses the F150 brake controller).

Bottom line - the LR3 is made to tow. It isn't going to tow like a dedicated tow rig (F350, etc), but it will do fine, especially if you equip it correctly. And there has to be few things sweeter than an LR3 with a kickass race car behind it :biggrin:

Now the important question - what are you towing? And what sort of racing are you doing? If you are doing SCCA, at 2700lbs I'm betting it is either a Spec Miata or a Solstice. Perhaps an Exige or Elise?

-Rich

Auburn92

Reaction score
I have the V8 SE, but I tow a sea ray 22.5 ft weekender. the boat and trailer weight approx 5500 lbs. the trailer has a gravity trailer brake. no problems.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here- I tow a 19' boat (probably about 4500 lbs.) and find my LR3 an excellent tow vehicle- better than my Ford Expedition with the big V-8. Only issue I have had is the poorly designed tow hitch which sticks down too low and hangs up on driveway ramps. I have to go into off-road height to get in and out of my driveway without scraping. Other than that, I'm very satisfied. I tow in mountains at high altitude.

strikerflo

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the responses, guys! Very encouraging, indeed.

I'll probably just stick with a u-haul auto trailer for this season...racing budget got tightened down quite a bit from last year and can't afford to buy a trailer. Since I won't do more than 6-8 events this year, renting one for the occasional weekend event won't be too much of a strain.

I'll make sure I pick up a brake controller, seems like the only way to go from what I've researched.

I wish I was driving a spec miata or an elise! It's actually a front-wheel-drive Acura RSX-S, but it's definitely been put through its paces in terms of a basic setup. I do mostly Time Attack (glorified qualifying/timed car-shows) events since I still feel as though I'm learning and need all the seat time I can get, without the fear of rubbing fenders. The car is probably well below 2700 lbs, but hasn't been corner-weighted yet, so I'm not 100% sure. Looks like a spaceship with all of the aero mods done to it, but it works well. On tigher, more technical tracks (not too tight...it's front wheel drive, so there's still a lot of understeer) it can run with Z06s and the lot, even on street tires, so it's a hoot to drive.

Few pics and videos:

194164832-L.jpg

194165130-L.jpg

STL-DC5-1-1.jpg

Vid of the RSX running with a Roush Stage 3 Mustang GT, SVT Cobra and my buddy's S2000:
YouTube - GT Motoring at Iowa Speedway

Vid of the RSX playing with the Spec Miatas and a few others...(Miata drivers are INSANE...tons of fun to drive with)
YouTube - NASA Midwest Gingerman HPDE-Only Day

I've been driving the car to and from events, which is TERRIBLE (no AC, radio, LOUD, terrible ride quality)...I can't wait to use the LR3. PLUS, it'll save me a ton of money in hotels, since I've now got something I can camp in at the track as well!!! :D

ChuckD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull a 3,500 lb enclosed car trailer with various show cars inside (one at a time!) behind my V8 '07 LR3. Total weight about 7,000lbs. Factory hitch, AB harness, Prodigy brake controller. It is a great tow vehicle. I use sport mode around town. Suspension height adjustment is very useful when hooking up and unhooking, as well as with the occasional steep driveway.

ChuckD

BoulderGT3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm going to take a minority opinion. I towed two jet skis with an on the trailer weight of about 2000lbs. I thought the LR3 was very underpowered and in general it just worked too hard to get the job done. . Granted I'm at high altitude but I couldn't imagine pulling a car on an open trailer let alone in an enclosed trailer. I didn't buy the LR3 to tow and IMO opinion it's the wrong tool for that job.

BTW, I trailer race cars too. How much other stuff do you bring with you? Coolers, tires, tents, jacks, compressors and so on. I always have about 1000lbs of extra stuff in addition to the car.

strikerflo

Reaction score
I guess I'm going to take a minority opinion. I towed two jet skis with an on the trailer weight of about 2000lbs. I thought the LR3 was very underpowered and in general it just worked too hard to get the job done. . Granted I'm at high altitude but I couldn't imagine pulling a car on an open trailer let alone in an enclosed trailer. I didn't buy the LR3 to tow and IMO opinion it's the wrong tool for that job.

BTW, I trailer race cars too. How much other stuff do you bring with you? Coolers, tires, tents, jacks, compressors and so on. I always have about 1000lbs of extra stuff in addition to the car.

Good to actually get some feedback going the other way. I was kind of afraid that I might be pushing my luck with an enclosed trailer, even a relatively lightweight one. While many of my events are in the midwest (no real elevation changes at all) there will be a few out in California and out on the east coast that I may attend, so the elevation issues do concern me.

I guess it'd be good to find out what kind of mileage everyone sees while towing, as well as distances and types of driving (ie. elevation changes, flat interstate cruising, etc). I can't imagine getting anything over 12mpg, to be honest.

My loads are usually pretty minimal - jack/jackstands, safety gear, extra set of pads, fluid, few tools (since I drive a Honda, the majority of work can be done using a pretty small set of tools...nothing too complicated), cooler and clothes. In years past I've gotten away with just putting it all in the back of the race car and heading out, but after a few hairy incidents, I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to maybe have some piece of mind in towing it.

I actuallly wanted some sort of turbodiesel V8 dually, but since it was more my better half's choice over mine, she wasn't a fan of driving a pickup everyday. The LR3 really seems incredibly versatile, and drives better than any vehicle in its class that I can think of besides a Cayeenne Turbo, which was a little out of our price range, and wasn't that impressive to warrant the difference when compared with the LR3. In fact, my buddy towed his S2000 with a naturally-aspirated Cayenne V8 from Chicago to Los Angeles and back without incident, so that gave me some initial encouragement that the LR3 would at least be decently capable.

I'm hoping I'll be alright as long as I don't overdo it on the weight, but just from driving the LR3 a few times as it is, I could see where the engine would feel a bit over-worked...the thing's just so darn heavy by iteself. Wonder if there's anything reasonably cheap that I can do to free up some torque in the powerband?

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I was driving a spec miata or an elise! It's actually a front-wheel-drive Acura RSX-S, but it's definitely been put through its paces in terms of a basic setup.
Very cool - and as long as you are having fun, it doesn't matter what you are driving!

-Rich

Hollywood LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Have a 2006 LR3 SEV6 and towed 2k + from Los Angeles to Long Island NY on summer tires last month .... It was solid :hello:
I like your ride :biggrin: pic of my last race car 06 SRT10 500 HP

Before
DynoDay1068b.jpg

After
JTPowdercoat063b.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99