Towing with a '03 Discovery HSE7???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scostagl

Reaction score
I tow 6500lbs, no issues....

Hi,

I tow my 27' boat with my '04 Disco with no issues. Boat weighs about 5500lbs and the trailer is about 1200lbs. 6700lbs in total, and I've totaled at least 300 miles if you sum my trips. I use the low range when I'm off the highway and keep the speeds under 45mph. Before I merge on to a highway, I pull over, put it in high gear, and slowly accelerate to about 55mph, keeping it in 3rd gear. I've never had any issues / overheating. The low gear is great for driving around town as it really saves your brakes and helps you slow down. As long as you load the trailer properly and don't put too much weight on the tongue (>550lbs) you should be ok.

Last edited:

jmrivera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I tow my 27' boat with my '04 Disco with no issues. Boat weighs about 5500lbs and the trailer is about 1200lbs. 6700lbs in total, and I've totaled at least 300 miles if you sum my trips. I use the low range when I'm off the highway and keep the speeds under 45mph. Before I merge on to a highway, I pull over, put it in high gear, and slowly accelerate to about 55mph, keeping it in 3rd gear. I've never had any issues / overheating. The low gear is great for driving around town as it really saves your brakes and helps you slow down. As long as you load the trailer properly and don't put too much weight on the tongue (>550lbs) you should be ok.

Do you have the LR trailer harness and an electric brake controller???

Jonathan

scostagl

Reaction score
Harness yes, brake controller no. I would like to get one eventually, but it is actually prettu comfortable towing without it.

jaacina

Reaction score
Weight Distribution Hitches

Since there appears to be a misunderstanding I am going to answer this. The reason why Land Rover does not recommend using weight distribution hitches is the way the SLS air suspension works. SLS and WDH fight each other, that is why they are not recommended.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have ACE and SLS and over the years have towed many times. I have also loaded my truck with over 1440 pounds of rock and it has always set perfectly level when maxed out. I would not spend the money on any changes until you have actually made a few tows and seen how the truck handles.
Do consider changing your tranny fluid and switch your brakes to a synthetic DOT 4 brake fluid for better handling.
Let us know how it goes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99