Trailer hitch needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LRwhat

Reaction score
Hey guys, this past weekend I bought a Yamaha ATV and trailer to take hunting and camping along side the LR! Problem is, I don't have the hitch adapter yet!:hmpf: I bought the wire harness form rover parts and installed it, now I need the hitch adapter. I posted in the classifieds and have yet to receive any responses. If anyone has one that they would like to sell please let me know! Ill be sure to put up a pic when I get it all hooked up! Thanks!:hello:

LRwhat

Reaction score
Very easy, the harness I bought from www.roverparts.com came with instructions. I searched youtube and found this video, set my laptop on my tail gate and went to town! Much cheaper than having the dealer do it. Now if I could just get my hands on the hitch!

LR34

Reaction score
Very easy, the harness I bought from www.roverparts.com came with instructions. I searched youtube and found this video, set my laptop on my tail gate and went to town! Much cheaper than having the dealer do it. Now if I could just get my hands on the hitch!

You've probably already looked, but I bought a new one off of ebay for $350 including shipping. That was about $100-$200 cheaper than I could find online from LR dealers or LR parts places. I believe there are 3 generations of hitches out there. I think I bought the latest (LR040248). I think the 1st generation hung down further and may block the spare (not that it is hard to take off hitch).

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd get the new version. It seems safer and is in a better position IMO.

DSC_5660_zpsec53ee6a.jpg

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could go back to roverparts and buy the bolt on hitch they have. It used to be about $220, but I see it's now $299. It's still quite the savings over the factory unit.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/LR019990ABP.cfm

I think the extra money is worth it. Its so nice just to slap it on.. **click**... done, and locked.

Messing with bolts, and more to go wrong... no thanks. I guess it depends on what you tow. If its just a bike rack, maybe the bolt on thing is fine, but when i've got 6500 lbs of trailer behind me, i want something the was designed by rover.

edit: I see that bolt on thing is only rated for 5,000 lbs anyway.. so be aware of that.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the extra money is worth it. Its so nice just to slap it on.. **click**... done, and locked.

The slapping it on and the click is really quite satisfying. I have the factory hitch and it's awesome.

After you installed the harness, is there anything you have to do with software to get the towing functionality working in the truck?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer put my electrics harness on for me, and I think they had to enable the towing electrics in the computer.

Really is silly and way too expensive, but I just wanted it two ready and wasn't going to mess with it myself.

LRwhat

Reaction score
The slapping it on and the click is really quite satisfying. I have the factory hitch and it's awesome.

After you installed the harness, is there anything you have to do with software to get the towing functionality working in the truck?

All of the lights work properly, however if I want the tow assist LR said it would cots $80 to flash the computer. They also said if I have the camera system, which I don't, it would be included in the cost. If I ever tow something big I may go in and have them do it.

I looked on ebay, it seems that the factory hitch runs about $350 or so. I was hoping to find a used one for around $250. I think I will give it another week, hopefully a member on this forum will take a look at this thread and want to sell!! Don't make me beg now!:biggrin:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9