Trails in New Mexico

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slwroller

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was looking to get my LR3 on some dirt while in Ruidoso, NM next week. Anyone have ideas or info they can share? Not much online after a bit of searching. Im not looking for anything super crazy though, just a possible scenic trail that can be done as a 1/2 day trip.

Cheers,
Tom

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the world's laziest search on Google and found about 40 trails and reports of trails with maps, images, ratings, narratives, etc...

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=4x4+trails+new+mexico

I do NOT know which of these are suited for 1/2 day treks, but this should get you started. You might also consider checking on ExpeditionPortal.com

Slwroller

Reaction score
I did the world's laziest search on Google

Well, according to your tone, it was the world's second laziest search on Google. Thank you for your help though...very gracious and not pompous at all.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, according to your tone, it was the world's second laziest search on Google. Thank you for your help though...very gracious and not pompous at all.

Well, lazy by my own personal standards. I was pressed for time....

h3tolr3

Reaction score
Tthere are some decent trails shooting off of Bonito Lake Road. I've only driven my H3 on 35's there, but the LR3 will do fine.

There are also some good trails near Cloudcroft. I went to High Altitude Outfitters in downtown Cloudcroft and purchased a map and received some great tips from the Jeep owner that worked there. Unfortunately, I don't remember any of the trail names at the moment.

Lincoln National Forest is riddled with logging trails. I believe that there are some decent ones off of Bailey Canyon Road, but I might be off by a road. Google maps reveals lots of logging trails off of Bailey Canyon, so you should find something :)

Slwroller

Reaction score
Thanks!

Tthere are some decent trails shooting off of Bonito Lake Road. I've only driven my H3 on 35's there, but the LR3 will do fine.

There are also some good trails near Cloudcroft. I went to High Altitude Outfitters in downtown Cloudcroft and purchased a map and received some great tips from the Jeep owner that worked there. Unfortunately, I don't remember any of the trail names at the moment.

Lincoln National Forest is riddled with logging trails. I believe that there are some decent ones off of Bailey Canyon Road, but I might be off by a road. Google maps reveals lots of logging trails off of Bailey Canyon, so you should find something :)

Thanks for this...Just what I was looking for.

Best,
Tom

h3tolr3

Reaction score
Glad I could help. If you find anything fun places to wheel while you're there, please let me know about it. I'm from Austin, but I try to make it to Central New Mexico a couple of times a year.

BTW, if you are in the Bonito Lake area and are looking for something else to do, we really enjoyed horseback riding through Lincoln National Forest. We used this place:

Runnels Bonito Stables (575) 354-2778

It doesn't get any more authentic than Runnels Stables :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lostmybearing