Tranmission help needed...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtava84557

Reaction score
My garage kept LR4 HSE was left out my parents house for 2 weeks. When I returned I got in started, let it warm up for a bit. When I put the vehicle in drive and press the accelerator it stalled a bit then a sort of pooped as when brake may be frozen. Otherwise, the 2 hour drive to my house was uneventful. The next day when I left my house when I pulled out of the driveway the engine accelerated a little hire than normal before shifting for a brief moment other wise one hour drive to work uneventful. A lunch time when I attempted to drive away the engine accelerated little movement by the LR4 (tranny slippage) and I got a "Transmission Fault", 2 attempts which would reset after engine shutdown. When I attempted to shift it in sport mode it I got the engine symbol and failed to move. Repeat engine shutdown and restart allowed to get the LR4 in a parking spot. A Nearby friend attempted to read any potential codes and could only detect P0850 Park/Neutral Position Switch Circuit. After this I got a red triangular symbol. What now.....
Vehicle never offloaded, never touched grass, please help!!!!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check the trans fluid level? Did it get driven/abused during that 2 weeks?

I would normally re-read the post for details but that was seriously painful to read, so im not doing it again.

as for P0850:

• Clear DTC and retest. Test drive the vehicle and check parklock mechanism by engaging and disengaging the parking lock several times. If fault persists, check parklock components and renew as required. If fault persists, check and install a new transmission control module as required

max2105

Reaction score
It sounds electrical to me.
It may have a bad Neutral safety switch. Do you see any signs of transmission fluid on the bottom of the pan? If not, I doubt it's mechanical.

max2105

Reaction score
FYI (check the wiring harness/es under the vehicle near the transmission)

P0850 - Park/Neutral Position Switch Circuit
Possible causes Faulty Park/Neutral Switch Park/Neutral Switch harness is open or shorted Park/Neutral Switch circuit poor electrical connection
What does this mean? When is the code detected? The signal of the park/neutral position (PNP) switch is not changed in the process of engine starting and driving. Possible symptoms Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P0850 Description The transmission manual shift shaft switch assembly, also known as the Internal Mode Switch (IMS), is a sliding contact switch attached to the manual shift shaft inside the transmission case. The Park/Neutral Position (PNP) Switch is integrated into the IMS and connects to the Transmission Control Module (TCM) lead-frame through a short wire harness. The 5 inputs to the TCM from the transmission manual shift shaft switch assembly indicate the transmission gear selector lever position. This information is used for engine start enable, engine controls as well as determining the transmission shift patterns. The state of each input is available for display on the scan tool. The five input parameters represented are Signal A, Signal B, Signal C, Signal P (Parity), and Signal N (Park/Neutral Start Signal). Park/Neutral Signal is sent from the Park/Neutral switch directly to the Engine Control Module (ECM) and is used for engine start enable. The Park/Neutral Signal circuit is not connected to the TCM internally; the circuit uses the TCM as a pass-through connector only. The ECM Park/Neutral diagnostic monitors the Park/Neutral Signal circuit to detect Low voltage when the ECM expects to see High voltage and High voltage when the ECM expects to see Low voltage.

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/p0850.html

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try going offload and touching grass. I think it's just ****** at you ;)

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
subscribed here

as I occasionally got this Transmission Fault error, mostly on freezing days

rover shop could even not locate any error code

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member