tranny knocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2000 disco 90somtin k mi. petro automatic.
I hear a knock coming from the tranny in park. In gear it sounds fine. recently I had a motor put in and suspect something loose (crossing fingers) so I take it back to him and he calls me back to tell me how much a trans is with labor. What would make a knock in the tranny? My original thought was the torque converter was loose but with that call...I could live with the noise if it's not going to strand me. If it does need a tranny where is a good place to start looking for one, I live in PA. Thanks Joe

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure it is the Transmission, and not the exhaust? with it in park crawl under and listen.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not positive and I did go under and listen to it with a poor mans stethoscope. It dose sound as if it is coming from the bell area. I listened to the oil pan and the knock sounds residual, same with the pan on the trans, residual. At the bell it is pronounced. Whats getting me is that the knock deadens as soon as it goes into gear. I'm at a loss on this one.

98Disco

Reaction score
It may be the flex plate has cracked, peice that connects the torque converter to the crank shaft, they can make a light knocking noise. Usually crack when the dowel alignment pins are missing from the back of the engine. Which is possible if you just had the engine replaced

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a loose bolt in the torque converter.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see thats what I'm thinking. A bad flex or a loose TC bolt. I was under it today and can't find access to the bolts. Do I have to pull the starter out? I pulled the 2 grommets from the front and the access from the bottom and rotated the flywheel and Im not seeing the bolts.

98Disco

Reaction score
You dont have to pull the starter, with either of the 2 rubber plugs out just rotate the crank till they come around. pretty hard to see and ackward tho

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OOps never followed up with this. It was a cracked flex plate.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OOps never followed up with this. It was a cracked flex plate.

Ouch, when your wishing just a loose TC to flexplate as a quick fix. One must dig deeper into your time and labor, hope you have a tranny jack plus the mounting jig plans that are in a Rover Service Manual. This would make the repair job an easy one. I would check the TC snout to pump body bushing fit and condition, good time if the TC snout is clean and not worn to replace the bushing and oil seal while your apart. Being cracked allowed the converter to walk around a bit, not too good on that bushing and seal. Replace both to prevent a future leak then removing it again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72