trans oil change now no reverse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mazdryk

Reaction score
I take my 2002 LR freelander to a local AAMCO shop to get the transmission fluid changed. They change the fluid and then on the drive home the transmission did not want to shift. IT would stay at high RPM's and then shift. THen it works itself out and shifts smoothly. I go to the sport mode manual shifting and it shifts really hard. I get the F4 blinking on my dash. I restart the car then it works great but reverse feels like its slipping big time. THen today I have no reverse. The transmission shop say they used merc 5 fluid and put in 4 liters which was how much they took out. Whats wrong with this car?

Mazdryk

Reaction score
I found an interesting link. http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/part_42.html#pa1 CLICK ON TECHNICAL INFORMATION AT THE BOTTOM. I think this is what happened to my car at the shop. I think they romoved that bolt its the only explanation. Does anyone know how these bolts are atatched it says the bolt can not be refitted if removed unless you tear the gear box apart. However im thinking you can just screw it back in the hole.

Mazdryk

Reaction score
Is it up to me to solve all LR problems? I never get answers on this forum and I have solved 2 LR mysteries, one being the fuel pump / fuel gage problem and now this one.

I went to the shop that changed my oil and asked them to show me what plugs they removed. They pointed out the wrong one. They removed the Brake band bolt the one that causes me to loose reverse. I then told them that this was the wrong one and showed them all the paperwork including the TSB that landrover released. They are going to fix it or pay for it to befixed. I am still discussing who will repair the transmission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, wish I could help more, but I for one do not know much about the Freelander other than The have expensive engine and transmission issues.

Shermie

Reaction score
AAMCO used the incorrect transmission fluid.

You now have a damaged JATCO transmission.

The F4 indication is a fault that occurs when the friction material is damaged and the transmission slips, causing the Siemens control system to fault the Transmission controller.

Eventually you will lose every other gear, it's just a matter of time.

Turning the car on and off only resets the computer, the F4 fault will appear over and over.

If AAMCO would have unscrewed the incorred bolt and not the actualy fluid leveling plug, a common Freelander mistake, your Freelander would not run at all.

The correct fluid was supposed to be N402 Texaco a.k.a. LRN-402 Land Rover.

I bought a case of this stuff for $12.00 a quart, it was the minimum order at the LR dealership.

A new JATCO is about $8500.00 including labor.

You can order remanufactured units for 1/3 that price, the installation should run about $800.

Sorry to hear about this, next thing to go after the Japanese JATCO is your Chinese KV6 Engine.

The Freelander was such a bad car, it's hard to find a legal recourse.

My 2002 SE sold for $1400, and the car looked brand new, even the interiors still smelled new.

ema

Reaction score
Shermie is right. Based on the symptoms that you have mentioned in your first post, your car already have a failing transmission.I suggest that you go find a dealer or shop with staffs who are trained on freelander gearboxes and let them evaluate it.

lowwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow sorry bro I know some land rover shops that dont like to change the fluid in these rigs. I think they put the wrong fluid in. For what I know is that you can only use the rover fluid. Bring it back and *****. See what fluid was actually added. How many miles? What made you change the fluid out? If all else fails trade it in at a non rover place and get another one or something else

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get your work order and go see the shop manager, tell him you are going to file a claim against them for damaging your tranny by using the incorrect ATF. See if he will start a claim with his insurance company , if not file a small claims action against the shop and the manager, you'll get it fixed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM