Transmission Fault 2006 LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a manual emergency release for the parking brake...but how did that help you get your vehicle out of PARK?

Trynian

Reaction score
There is a manual emergency release for the parking brake...but how did that help you get your vehicle out of PARK?

There is also a manual release for the shifter in the same area as the park break release. It is little lever that you hold up while you move the shifter. You can even put the car in neutral without a key.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. Did not know that. I've read the manual cover-to-cover...but hell that was 6 years ago!

seunnues

Reaction score
Hi to every one, i have a 2006 land rover with 87,000 millage, when ever i drive it for about 15 to 30 mint and try to accelerate fast the truck **** and after 5mint it will show (f- transmission fault, limited gear available) while on motion, when it happen i pull over and off the engine and put it on, then the car move on fine again. Pls what could be the possible cause or solution to this problem. I just discover this a week ago since i bought the rover.

delcoquito

Reaction score
The problem is presumablywith the transmission sensors/wires. My car had same problem and eventually wouldn't even shift into gear . I had to use used the manual override button under the gear shifter to put the truck into drive and get it over to the shop. THE PROBLEM: my wife had spilled coffee all inside the transmission box so all the wires and tips were coated in gooyed stickiness and corroded. SOLUTION: transmission gear box needed to be replaced.

(Note: Same issue with "transmission fault" had happened to the truck a few months back and the dealer just installed a new battery and that fixed the problem at that time, but when it happened a 2nd time in a few short months I knew it had to be a bigger issue and discovered the coffee goo). Hope this helps!

DEL

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it turns out you need a transmission let me know, probably can save you a few bucks. They do end up needing to be replaced semi regularly.

To extend the life of them, consider putting on a metal pan and change fluid every 75,000 miles.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tlt what do you mean by "semi" regularly and what data is there to support that? If you've heard something, please let us all know.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transmissions fail, not nearly as much as the diffs and compressors, but the transmissions do fail, the original torque converters fail, they had a glazing issue with the clutches.

Some of this reason, similar to the diffs, LR does not recommend servicing the transmission until 150,000 miles. The fluid is only rated for 75,000. So it's a race to the finish, life over possibly new transmission. So, it makes sense to change the fluid.

Change the diff fluid every 20k I would say. (every third oil change or so)...

Plenty of transmissions, gearboxes and differential go out. A little TLC and preventative maintenance will extend the life.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tlt, the difference here is that we heard LOTS of reports from folks on this forum and others about failing diffs. I have not heard similar stories about the tranny. Sure...maybe one or two in 7 years, but it's not like the diff issue.

I am at 96.5k and plan on doing my tranny fluid at the end of May.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM