Transmission Fault 2006 LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered $400 worth of tranny fluid, pan/gaket/filter. Will be doing first flush at 63k miles on my 05 HSE. No problems so far. I am religous with the diffs. I had the rear diff replace about 3k miles ago and just replaced the fluid. It was amazing how much metal particles were in the fluid and thickly covering the magnetic drain plug after only 3k easy miles. All diff fluid to be replaced every 7500 or so miles from here on out. Trans will be every 20k or so from now on.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
schafari, are you saying you ordered that much fluid because you wanted to have that much on-hand? I am wondering how much the fluid for one tranny change costs? I'm going to have my fluid changed in a few months and I haven't got a price quote yet.

I changed my diffs last year and after about 1100 miles changed the fluid. It looked good. Not many metal flakes at all, according to the tech. I will likely change diff fluids every 15k from here on out. Maybe 75k for the tranny.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transmission fluid is expensive, and the ZF HP26 transmission takes a lot of it. A fluid change will take 6 quarts. They are about $25 each. I ordered 7 as I have power fill that works best with fluid still in the filler while getting the exact amount in the transmission. The filter is actually part of the pan, as is the gasket. It comes as one whole piece. That is about $150.

Changing the differential fluid is very easy on the LR3. Actually, it is easier than changing the oil/filter.

(I also ordered the 8 spark plugs which was about $80 for the spark plug change.)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So basically to have my tranny fluid changed by a mechanic it's going to be at least $400.

Thanks...

jjcooperz

Reaction score
I have my tranmission fluid changed last week(Friday) but this morning when I start the car the transmission fault message came up after 2-3 second it gone but it drives prefect nothing wrong. I will see if it come up tomorrow. anybody have that issue?? Thanks

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a specific filling procedure which has to followed in the ZF service manual. You want to be sure it was done according to the manual.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, do you guys put the transmission into neutral when you are at a stop such as at traffic lights? That is what the owners manual says to do. In my opinion, that would reduce the stress that the transmission receives over the course of its life and perhaps reduce the risk of failure.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that seems like a real PITA. What about the stress on the linkage of now shifting between N and D umpteen times a day? I guess if it's a really long stop light I'd consider doing it. Not for a quickie that I know is generally <1 minute.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM