"Transmission Fault" Explained

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

mvg

lr305 said:
My LR3 has about 7500 miles, so far it has not a single problem (knock on wood). It is a spare truck for winters. I left it in Garage for more than 2 months, and when I start it, not a single problem appeared. It is just the fact.

lr305, thanks for the 2-month benchmark on battery longevity. Just to qualify this benchmark, do you also have a factory DVD installed?

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't want to hint at vehicle replacement at the dealer you want to speak to a LRNA MSR about it. My first one was replaced and trust me the dealer was none too happy about it... LRNA forced them nicely to do it. They ultimately have no choice.

I think a good place to start would be to mention that you aparenty spent 53k on a car that has to be started everyday or it needs to go into the shop. That's a HUGE inconvenience and in my experience with LR service probably 100% ********.

I documented every service experience with my CSR and before the the truck went in for another service that I knew they couldn't fix, I said to her that, "I wanted to let you know that this is the third time my truck is going in for this problem, in addition to that this visit would put the truck over 30 days in the shop." That, "I wanted to let her know that because I briefly looked into my states L.L. and I thought LR might want to get the truck back to resell it thus giving them 3 new trys at fixing it." We never spoke in specifics... she called me back three days later to ask me if I still wanted green...

LRNA 800-637-6837

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mvg

askewed,

Thanks for the great advice. I am quietly building the case. I also have phone numbers lined up if I need to pull the switch:
1. President of Land Rover of Long Island Dealerships
2. Customer Care Lead of LR of LI Dealerships

The number you show with extension 9 would be the LR Customer Relationship Center. I will start with them.

I brought the vehicle in to the shop today for days 18-?? (perhaps at least a week). The 30 days is not so far away. They even plan to come to my house for testing to see if they can detect other signals that is causing the car to wake up or drain.

sunlion

Reaction score
I've had multiple transmission faults, traction reduced and had had numerous software resets. The last time I took it to LR Bellevue, Wa they said they found the problem which was a loose engine ground wire. That was 2 months ago and the fault has not recurred, even towing a boat and trialed 200 miles to and from eastern Washington, up two mountian passes and doing some off roading to 6100 feet, which by the way was awesome!

However, the CD player quit on the way there, stuck on CD Ejecting!

Z

zdas04

I just got back from a trip where I left my LR3 at the airport for 17 days and when I got in it everything was fine, no transmission fault, it started right up, it is not acting like the battery got drained.

Now if I can just figure out why it sometimes drains the battery to sit for two weeks and other times it can sit for almost 3 weeks without a problem.

David

F

FloridaLr3

zdas04 said:
I just got back from a trip where I left my LR3 at the airport for 17 days and when I got in it everything was fine, no transmission fault, it started right up, it is not acting like the battery got drained.

Now if I can just figure out why it sometimes drains the battery to sit for two weeks and other times it can sit for almost 3 weeks without a problem.

David

Years ago I had a friend that drove a Jeep a very short distance back and forth to work only, It turns out that he did not drive far enough for the alternator to fully charge the battery, which resulted in a shorten battery life.

My wife is now the primary driver of the LR3. I think the same thing is happening to my LR3, they just replaced the battery in my LR3 because she was getting faults on start up. I think that is due to her driving short distance.

So I think the solutions may be to fully charge you battery once a month. Via road trip :burnout:

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zdas04

FloridaLr3,
You could very well be right. Last time I got the fault I had been driving it very short trips for about a month then let it sit for a week. This time I had driven it 400 miles a week before leaving it for 17 days. That finally makes sense. Thanks

David

M

mvg

zdas04 said:

David
The service manager insists that the LR3 battery will last a little over a week and not more than two weeks when parked at the airport. They say that with all the wireless key signals in the airport parking lot, the LR3 will wake up very frequently.

I think this can easily be debunked. Has anyone tried using another LR3's wireless key on their LR3 and see if their car wakes up? For me, my wake-up indicator would be seeing the DVD light buttons turn on. Unfortunately, I haven't tried this experiment yet.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This whole battery issue is a huge pain in the ass. I have given up the thought of even considering leaving the radio on for a bit with the car off, as the battery drains so fast. Now, I'm even concerned when parked for the day (beach, tailgate party, etc.) because just the interior lights coming on and off throughout the day as doors are opened and closed is enough to wake the car up, I guess, and drain the battery. They really didn't think this through well and I'd definitely get one of those jumpstart packs if I ever traveled far away from a jump start possibility with this car.

luis_wilhelm

Reaction score
This past Saturday I went to the groceries store with the wife and after I parked I was playing with the satellite radio and left it on intentionally thinking it will shut off after a while. After probably close to an hour when done shopping, returned to the car and when opened the cargo compartment found the radio was on!

Shoot (I thought remembering these threads on battery issues), and ran to the driver's seat to start the engine, it started ok (what a relief!) and drove well for the rest of the weekend, so I guess the battery should be able to hold ok for little drains like this.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA