Transmission Fault Limited Gears Available

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2006 LR3, any of you had the Transmission Fault "Limited Gears Available" engine light on (F), stuck in park. (I got it out of park hitting the release on the shifter assembly) Swapped out the brake switch for new, It has to be a connection problem since it went away for a couple days and re-appeared. Also took apart the center console (3rd time) and cleaned the corroded connection at the shifter, since water got in there a couple summers ago, and my sport mode only works when the headlights come on. brand new battery (needed it anyway), cleaned the transmission ECU connections 1 pin had minor corrosion, down to replacing the dang brake light bulbs, also I hear there is a wire near the rear axle that has a splice that becomes corroded (have not looked for it). I have not checked the wires running on the passager and driver side floor under the carpet/sill plates

BendRover123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have had an issue were transmission fault shows up and the shifter assembly unit light did not follow the shifter position, plus in sport mode it didn't switch over to sport mode or shift gears and pushing pulling the lever, but drive, park, neutral worked though all lights or intermittently no lights showed in the shifter assembly console.

Upon disconnect of the connector i found all i needed. A corroded pin was stuck in the connector and there was greasy wet contamination at the bottom of the shifter assembly in the connector area. I left the sunroof open say 5 times and it rained into the car after which the car always seemed to be have strange a little until it dried out. Anyways this connector at the shifter assembly seems prone to corrosion and water ingress. i had to buy a new shifter assembly unit and splice in a new connector. Best to prevent all these issues by properly protecting the connector in the first place.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, I only left my sunroof open 1 time and it rained hard for 20 min. When I got in, I did not think ANY water got inside as everything was bone dry. I assumed the sunroof drains caught it all and it was a non-issue to have left it open.

I tried to leave and started having weird issues which only got worse. A lot of troubleshooting later I also found how unsually easy it is for water to find its way directly to the shifter assembly harness. Bad design in hindsight, just like the windshield cowl happens to bow right where water can get through it and right into the cabin without any protection. Hindsight is 20-20 I guess.

I am terrible at remembering to close the sunroof and I park outside, so I don't even use it anymore, it's not worth it to me...When i look at other vehicles and these wonderful panoramic sunroofs everyone is promoting, I dont even want one, all I can see is future headaches for me!

Last edited:

BendRover123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, I only left my sunroof open 1 time and it rained hard for 20 min. When I got in, I did not think ANY water got inside as everything was bone dry. I assumed the sunroof drains caught it all and it was a non-issue to have left it open.

I tried to leave and started having weird issues which only got worse. A lot of troubleshooting later I also found how unsually easy it is for water to find its way directly to the shifter assembly harness. Bad design in hindsight, just like the windshield cowl happens to bow right where water can get through it and right into the cabin without any protection. Hindsight is 20-20 I guess.

I am terrible at remembering to close the sunroof and I park outside, so I don't even use it anymore, it's not worth it to me...When i look at other vehicles and these wonderful panoramic sunroofs everone is promoting, I dont even want one, all I can see is future headaches for me!

I am pretty terrible at it too, it though it was the sunroof drain clogged at first and the driver side drain was backing up do to a snorkel installation issue i was able to fix, it had drained too slowly, but there was never wet carpet or we liner or anything so i didn't worry but it always filled up the top sill around the sunroof so when breaking hard or driving as the water sloshed over it sloshed into my shifter assembly, so i believe at least it contributed a little to it, make sure your drains are clear too, never hurts to check.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sequoia tells me the sunroof is open if I open the door without closing it. Nice feature. Also it will close the sunroof with the key off and the garage door works with the key off. I too have left the sunroof in the LR3 open many times which resulted in taking the circuit board from the shifter assembly to a local electronics shop to have the connector replaced due to a broken pin. Upon reassembly sport mode and all shifter functionality returned without issue.

BendRover123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sequoia tells me the sunroof is open if I open the door without closing it. Nice feature. Also it will close the sunroof with the key off and the garage door works with the key off. I too have left the sunroof in the LR3 open many times which resulted in taking the circuit board from the shifter assembly to a local electronics shop to have the connector replaced due to a broken pin. Upon reassembly sport mode and all shifter functionality returned without issue.

You gave me an excellent idea and i will try the same and have the connector replaced. i tried a 2006 LR3 shifter assembly but it does not seem to like it with limited gear options available and the F displayed on the dash .

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I went to the electronics shop the guy got the number off the connector and went on line and in 30 seconds had it ordered. Took a week and he charged me $50 to solder it in plus I think the connector was $14. The pin that had broken off literally fell out of the female socket plug once I poked it with a pointed scriber.

BendRover123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I went to the electronics shop the guy got the number off the connector and went on line and in 30 seconds had it ordered. Took a week and he charged me $50 to solder it in plus I think the connector was $14. The pin that had broken off literally fell out of the female socket plug once I poked it with a pointed scriber.

ok great I am having my local seattle electronics shop do the same. My concern was how to find a like connector otherwise I would have to get a generic one and wire up the plug which would just add more time.

By the way there are two wires that are yellow on the wire bundle one is for shift unlock and one is for manual + shift signal. So those I am basically having to guess which pin it goes to, and just try both ways. Will let you know how that turns out once I get my repaired assembly back.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
upload_2020-7-28_18-27-19.png
upload_2020-7-28_18-27-19.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72