transmission problems on our 2010 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jenn 3

Reaction score
transmission problems 2010 LR4 ~ UPDATED

When we first bought our LR4 in November of 2010 my husband noticed that after backing out of the garage when cold, it would take a few seconds too long for "drive" to engage, so if you pressed the gas, you'd only rev the engine but not move. The issue was mild and went away, so was all but forgotten.

Just as the car turned 2, the issue began to happen again. It has been happening only after the first start for the day, and after backing out onto the street and putting it into drive. It has taken up to 45 seconds or so to "catch", shifting to neutral and back to drive does not seem to help. When I took the car in to show the service guys a third row seat issue that needs repair, the manager said it might not be anything they can nail down, and that he hasn't heard of it happening. As well, it only happens randomly, and generally on the first use of the day, though that is now changing with more frequent happenings, and during other times of the day.

I have an appointment to head in next week but wanted to do a bit of research to seek out similar issues, if there are any, among other LR4's. It has now jumped to a new, more hazardous level... last week, I had no issue getting into drive one morning, but at the stop sign to pull out on the street (so after already driving 100 yards), I went to go from a stop out onto the main road and the engine only revved as the car coasted out into the street with approaching traffic as if in neutral. Had to hop back into reverse to get out of the way.

And today, I had to break fairly hard for a turning car not using a blinker. I probably slowed to about 7 mph, then went to accelerate but only revved, again, as if in neutral. This was about 4 miles into my trip, so no where near cold. Has anyone experienced anything like this, or heard of this happening, or even imagine a reason for such an issue? It's getting dangerous, to the point where I can't depend on the car to move in traffic.

Thanks!

Last edited:

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds very troubling. I would suggest you try to replicate this in a large parking lot (so that you are not endangering yourself) and record a video for your record and show it to the dealer, so they know exactly what the issue is.

You should contact the dealership immediately and let them figure it out. It's clearly a safety issue (not just a minor annoyance).

Best of luck. I sincerely hope your vehicle is properly fixed and you are back to enjoying it very soon.

Keep us posted.

Last edited:

jenn 3

Reaction score
Thanks, as I sat waiting for it to engage for well over a minute this morning, I thought to pull out my phone and start recording. I got a good 30 seconds of showing the car coasting back down the sloping street, showed it in drive as it was happening, shifted to reverse twice and back before it finally engaged. I think if they can't replicate it at the dealership, I will suggest the service manager keep it, take it home and drive it until he gets it to happen. We are on a cul-de-sac, so it wasn't a safety issue when restricted to just that first "drive" of the morning (so no threat of traffic riding up on me as we are in the circle), but with these random issues while driving, definitely a hazard. I'll post the results after I get it back.

TangoRed

Reaction score
Wow. Keep us updated. Definitely an unusual situation, as this transmission is used in several different Jags and Land Rovers and has proven to be a solid unit.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, as I sat waiting for it to engage for well over a minute this morning, I thought to pull out my phone and start recording. I got a good 30 seconds of showing the car coasting back down the sloping street, showed it in drive as it was happening, shifted to reverse twice and back before it finally engaged. I think if they can't replicate it at the dealership, I will suggest the service manager keep it, take it home and drive it until he gets it to happen. We are on a cul-de-sac, so it wasn't a safety issue when restricted to just that first "drive" of the morning (so no threat of traffic riding up on me as we are in the circle), but with these random issues while driving, definitely a hazard. I'll post the results after I get it back.

Over a minute to engage????? That's a HUGE amount of time. If I were you I would take it to the dealer and leave it there until the problem is fixed. I wouldn't drive it that way esp if you have kids in the vehicle.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a software issue or shift linkage that is sticking. Both are easy repairs and should be handled by the dealer under warranty.

jenn 3

Reaction score
So, time for an update. I took the LR4 in for service on the issues above. They kept it from Wednesday through early the next week, and when they called to say it was ready, they called back, saying as they pulled it out of the garage some lights came on, so to wait. I got the okay later that day, was told all was well, and they had done a bunch of software resets.

Everything seemed fine for 3 days. Though, the issue was random, and hadn't happened for 3 days in a row before taking it in. Then, as I was driving my kids home from tae kwon do, maybe a quarter mile after leaving, both the battery and engine light came on and the engine cut out. I coasted to the side of the road and couldn't restart. I had power, but the engine would just choke for about 30 seconds, then quit. After a few times of this, it wouldn't even choke.

I couldn't find my road side card that I know I previously had with my manual, and had a heck of a time getting a live agent on a working number. My phone directed me only to a website for land rover roadside where I had to enter my zip code. I was getting a message that there is no land rover facility near me. Okay, not true, but the website didn't even provide a phone number. It was 7pm on the east coast, so I finally thought to call our most excellent dealer back in Redwood City, CA, who was still open. They got me the right number, and I had a tow to a holding lot within 15 minutes.

They kept the car all last week while I traveled, but did call mid week saying they did a bunch more resets and everything should be fine now.

After the first service they noted both the brake pads and rooters will soon need replacing (we've got over 23K miles, which I know is a lot for not having to had it done yet). As well, our tires are worn and need replacing. We decide that since we are going to be dropping 3K+ into it, we're just trading in.

I feel like we did okay... we are getting a 2012 LR4, msrp 56,225, with trade and 20K (after all taxes and fees). We look at it like this way... we drove the 2010 for 27 months, so it is like we only paid $740/month to own it. Not bad :)

I do, however, feel some degree of concern for whoever buys our 2010. I have a sneaking suspicion this issue isn't completely resolved, though I can't exactly name why. Fortunately, the new owners should be given nearly 2 more years of warranty.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but I have driven two 21012 LR4's that do the same thing, however it was only 1-2 sec. delay.

I used the sales managers LR4 while waiting for the dealer to go get my new truck, and it did it.

Now that I have my new truck it has also done it a couple of times, but only facing UPHILL...

I will talk to my dealer soon...

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got back from the dealer and two other 2012 LR4's had the delay into drive-ONLY when facing up a fairly steep hill. There is also kind of a groan coming from the back before drive engages.

To be updated...

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, time for an update. I took the LR4 in for service on the issues above. They kept it from Wednesday through early the next week, and when they called to say it was ready, they called back, saying as they pulled it out of the garage some lights came on, so to wait. I got the okay later that day, was told all was well, and they had done a bunch of software resets.

Everything seemed fine for 3 days. Though, the issue was random, and hadn't happened for 3 days in a row before taking it in. Then, as I was driving my kids home from tae kwon do, maybe a quarter mile after leaving, both the battery and engine light came on and the engine cut out. I coasted to the side of the road and couldn't restart. I had power, but the engine would just choke for about 30 seconds, then quit. After a few times of this, it wouldn't even choke.

I couldn't find my road side card that I know I previously had with my manual, and had a heck of a time getting a live agent on a working number. My phone directed me only to a website for land rover roadside where I had to enter my zip code. I was getting a message that there is no land rover facility near me. Okay, not true, but the website didn't even provide a phone number. It was 7pm on the east coast, so I finally thought to call our most excellent dealer back in Redwood City, CA, who was still open. They got me the right number, and I had a tow to a holding lot within 15 minutes.

They kept the car all last week while I traveled, but did call mid week saying they did a bunch more resets and everything should be fine now.

After the first service they noted both the brake pads and rooters will soon need replacing (we've got over 23K miles, which I know is a lot for not having to had it done yet). As well, our tires are worn and need replacing. We decide that since we are going to be dropping 3K+ into it, we're just trading in.

I feel like we did okay... we are getting a 2012 LR4, msrp 56,225, with trade and 20K (after all taxes and fees). We look at it like this way... we drove the 2010 for 27 months, so it is like we only paid $740/month to own it. Not bad :)

I do, however, feel some degree of concern for whoever buys our 2010. I have a sneaking suspicion this issue isn't completely resolved, though I can't exactly name why. Fortunately, the new owners should be given nearly 2 more years of warranty.

congrats on your new LR4, but I can't help but think that you may have been able to get it replaced under the lemon law. Sounded like a lemon to me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM