Transmission Slipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Windycitysox1

Reaction score
Need some feedback from the experts out there. I have a 2011 LR4 with 39K miles. Bought the LR used a few months ago and have noticed a slight slip of the transmission when coming to a stop, but not coming to a full stop and then accelerating which causes the slipping of the transmission...at least it seems like the trans. If I come to a full stop and then accelerate there is no slipping at all. Has anyone experienced something similar? The dealer, via a phone call said this is common and its the torque converter catching up. Appreciate any help I can get on this, so I can get to the root cause.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer is correct, that hesitation is common if you don't come to a complete stop. I have read that you simply confuse the transmission control module if you almost come to a complete stop then accelerate. You catch it while it is performing a 2nd gear to 1st gear downshift.

We had an Audi Q7 with the same ZF HP26 transmission and it did the same thing. You need to come to a complete stop or accelerate at about 10 mph.

I doubt that your transmission is slipping. (That would be when the rpms go up but you don't go forward) I imagine that the rpms do not increase when this hesitation occurs.

Windycitysox1

Reaction score
You are correct. I will check on the availability of updated software that may solve the problem.
Thanks for your reply,
Mike

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ZF box is pretty amazingly well tuned, but ya, its a very luxury/soft setup. The torque converter in my AWD G35x was very aggressive and locked up quickly and whatnot, it was worse in town because of the stop/start/speedup/slowdown.

It takes a little getting used to and then I don't think you will notice it much. Its smoooooth.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nico3dd