Trip to Colorado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

alindsay

I just returned from a Chicago area to the Mountains of Colorado trip (Poudre Canyon west of Ft. Collins) where I towed my 6500 lb travel trailer and got some 4-wheeling in. The towing took my MPG down to 5 - 6 mpg at times but the ride was pretty nice on the way out. On the way back, the wind did pick up and I had trouble at times keeping it straight, especially when being passed by Big Rigs. The MPG when towing it terrible but the LR3 does tow nicely.

When in the mountains, I did try the off road and the Hill Decent is nice. Hard to get used to but once my son read the manual and I learned the +- on the cruise control either increased or decreased the speed it was nice to use. I did manage to get some pics - see attached and make sure you look at them in order. Notice anything in the last pic? It took 2 hrs of digging and a tug from a passing Hunter (how lucky is that?) to get us down.

Every time I see a mound I want to try the LR3 out but I always hear my wife remind me of what happened on the last mound I tried to climb. :)

Attachments

• Pic 2.JPG
    Pic 2.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Pic 3.JPG
    Pic 3.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Pic 4.JPG
    Pic 4.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Pic 5.JPG
    Pic 5.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Pic 6.JPG
    Pic 6.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 119
T

toddjb123

that's funny! the same thing happened to me when i purchased my first 4WD vehicle 14 years ago. went driving around with four wheel drive and drove over a big mound and got stuck on the frame! that learned me quick that 4WD only works if the tires are on the ground! :) we ended up getting out by having someone lift up on one end of the vehicle, which lowered the other end for traction. thanks for sharing...

X

xray

Thanks for the info and what a great trip.

Can you discuss your towing setup (i.e. hitch, brake controller, wiring harness, etc.)?

Are you using a weight distribution hitch?

How was the LR3 when climbing with the trailer?

What was your overall MPG while towing?

Any concerns?

Thanks again.

x

A

alindsay

I purchased the hitch and electrical harness after the LR3 purchase and installed it myself. THe dealer wasn't much help. The total install time was around 1 hour and the instructions needed to be read closely. I found another forum that clued me into the connection under the dash for the brake controller. You will need to remove the panel on the drivers side, under the dash. I took a FORD brake controller harness and it connected to the conection under the dash and then I velcroed the brake controller to the panel. All you need to do now is connect the trailer. When the trailer is connected, the blinkers will also show a little trailer blinking on the dash idiot lights. That tells you the connection is solid.

I went to Farm and Fleet and found a 10,000 lbs 6" drop trailer hitch and added a ball that matched the hitch. Mine has a 1 1/4 inch shank. I took the paper label off so I'm not sure of the name brand but I think Valley hitches might also carry these. In the past I've used a weight distributing hitch and wasn't sure about this set up. Once I connected the trailer, I started to get impressed. The LR3 can be lowered to access mode for connecting the trailer then moved to off-road so the jack stand can be removed...much easier to connect the trailer now.

When towing down the road, all is nice and very little clunking like the old weight distributing hitch but as you increase speed, you can tell the trailer is there and when the winds pick up the sway is noticable. I've been towing a long time and know to work with the sway and just let off on the gas but when I was having my son drive part of the trip, I had to remind him to not over stear and let up on the gas if things started to feel weird. When trucks pass was the worse...get sucked to the left and then pushed right..but that is normal with any towing.

My MPG has finally gotten to 16 - 18 around town but when I tow, I expect around 9 mpg. My GPS showed the drive to Colorado is a constant climb so I was getting 6 - 8 mpg on the way out. I found cruse control with towing is great except when going up hill. I prefered to manualy control the gas and thus RPMs. I thought cruise control was constantly gunning the engine when going up inclines and kept the RPMs over 5000 way too long.

My only concern is all the people that saw me in my LR3 and will want to go out and buy one themselves..I sure don't want the LR3 to be as common as a Ford Explorer!

Hope that helps but let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Allan

T

toddjb123

alindsay said:
... I found another forum that clued me into the connection under the dash for the brake controller. You will need to remove the panel on the drivers side, under the dash. I took a FORD brake controller harness and it connected to the conection under the dash and then I velcroed the brake controller to the panel. ....

Can you give the reason for this?

I have only towed small boats and uhaul trailers (which had their own breaking system). Is this break controller connection for a more advanced trailer setup (non-standard)?

I did install the hitch and wiring w/o any problems, but then again, I haven't towed anything yet.... :)

A

alindsay

You will want to add a brake controller when you tow heavy trailers. Most u-haul's have a built in brake that is engaged when you brake the towing vehicle. The push of the trailer hitch against the towing vehicle hitch invokes the brake.

To properly tow trailers above ~1000 lbs you will want to use the brake controller that is connected to the LR3. This controller will send a signal to the trailer when braking so the trailer brakes engage. Most of the times these brake controllers are somewhat adjustable. If you don't use this set-up, then the trailer will push you and either you won't stop at the intersection or excessive brake usage/wear will occur on the LR3.

Hope that helps,

Allan

A

alindsay

I wanted to add...most 4 pin trailer connectors are on traiilers that don't have trailer brakes and most 7 pin connectors are for trailers with brakes. I would advise to get the brake controller if your trailers have traiiler brakes - cheap insurance for stopping. Also, when fiirst towing a heavy trailer, TEST the braking before getting on the road or you might end op rear-ending another car.

T

toddjb123

Thanks for the details.

So, my LR3 wiring harnass has both plugs. The 4 pin version and the big round socket that I guess is the 7 pin connector.

So, if I use the 7 pin connector do I need to make another under dash connection to allow the signal to pass to the trailer? I'm unclear if this was specific to your vehicle, left out of the directions, or a problem with the LR3.

-todd

A

alindsay

I'm a little confused with your statement but I'll reply with what I think you are looking for.

My LR3 has both plugs at the back by the hitch and once the wiring harness is added that hooks into the lights/system, then the blinkers will work on the trailer.

You will also need to add a brake controller if you are towing heavy trailers with trailer brakes. The brake controller can be added using a FORD wiring harness that is specific to adding brake controlers. This brake controller harness is located under the dash.
Without the brake controller harness and an aftermarket brake controler, your trailer brakes won't be activated when the LR3 is braking.

So, adding a complete tow kit to an LR3 requires the following:

1) Hitch/receiver
2) Wiring Harnes - connects to the LR3 lights/system. Trailers 4/7 (or is it a 9 pin?) connectors will connect to the LR3 back by the hitch
3) Brake wiring harness with after market brake controler - My LR3 has a FORD stlye connector under the drivers side dash and I already had a brake controller with a FORD style harness from my previous Navigator.

JimRoshan

Reaction score
I have a question!!

I am getting ready to leave on a 3 week road trip traveling about 4,000 miles towing my 19' TT with my HSE. I have the brake controller installed and the exact same hitch and ball you have . The only addition I installed is a sway controller. Do you have one of these installed? I have never towed anything this large before and never for this kind of distance. IT'S GOING TO BE FUN!!

Also, what kind of outside mirror extentions do you use? I had a camera installed on the TT and it plugs into the system in the LR# so atleast I can see behind me. But, I am strugling with the sides.

Jim Roshan
Bowling Green, Ky.

PS - we are going to Jackson Wy, and then down thru Utah to the four corners and back accross tne northern tip of Tx and thru Ok. Anybody want to link up let me know. We leave this Sunday!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112